Can over estimating insulin injections (bolus) cause heart problems / heart disease down the line ? and can over estimating cause resistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upset Racoon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I do not carb count , I know the standers is 1 unit for every 10g of carbs . I however, find that’s not enough for me so I’m guessing i’m a little insulin resistant.

I do not hypo ( or if i do , it’s almost always at night , and i only have to eat something very small ( small bite of a cereal bar, for example ) for me to come out of a hypo . Why is this ? and will all this guesswork cause me problems ( i really hope not :( Please help ,

Merry Christmas everyone !

Merry Christmas @Upset Racoon. Why do you not carb count? I know you say you very rarely go hypo but if you do this could be due to over estimating the amount of insulin you needed for the carbs. If you underestimate the carbs this could lead to consequences such as DKA (Diabetic ketoacidosis)

If you never go low then you are probably not taking enough insulin. If 1:10 doesn’t work for you then try 1:8 and see what happens. It’s also perfectly possible that you might need different ratios at different times of the day.

There is no right or wrong amount of insulin, everyone is different, you need whatever you need to keep your blood sugars at the right level. My daughter for example seems to need shedloads more than a lot of people on this forum but that’s what works for her so that’s what we do. The important thing is what your blood sugar level is, not how many units you have to inject to achieve it.

How long have you been diagnosed @Upset Racoon ?

What sort of range do you aim for? And what do you consider ‘going hypo’?

Which insulin(s) are you using? And do you use pens or a pump?

Welcome to the forum!

I do not carb count , I know the standers is 1 unit for every 10g of carbs . I however, find that’s not enough for me so I’m guessing i’m a little insulin resistant.

I do not hypo ( or if i do , it’s almost always at night , and i only have to eat something very small ( small bite of a cereal bar, for example ) for me to come out of a hypo . Why is this ? and will all this guesswork cause me problems ( i really hope not :( Please help ,

Merry Christmas everyone !

1:10g is the standard. It’s just one of a couple of often-suggested starting points. You then work out your individual ratios. So, for example, your ratios might be 1:6, 1:8, 1:11 for meals. It’s whatever works for you - and ratios can change too, and then change back again.

If you don’t carb count, you’re getting in a car with a blindfold on basically. It’s so much easier to count, and you get more consistent results.

Are you sure your basal amount is right? That’s the foundation on which your control is built. If your basal is wrong, then you’d need more insulin for meals, rarely hypo, and only need a small amount of carbs to treat any hypo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back