Can illness affect food ratios but not basal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawprint91

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
I’ve definitely got some sort of virus/cold/sinus thing, had a blocked nose headache and sore throat yesterday along with a very mild temperature, and then today have had a runny nose and felt a bit off (but better than yesterday).

Anyway - I have upped my basal by 1u (always cautious with basal) whilst this is kicking off, and between meals when novorapid isn’t in the mix, I seem to have been a steady line. However when eating (have eaten carbs at 2 of 3 meals today) I’ve skyrocketed - the porridge I have for breakfast is usually 4/5 units - I started going high and thought it was a lack of pre-bolus time that I’d got wrong (has happened before, usually goes up to 10 or 11 and comes back down) but it went up to 13+! I stacked some corrections to get it back down and did end up hypo, but recognised my mistake and sorted it.

Same has just happened with evening meal - I anticipated this may happen, added extra unit to what I may need and it’s still shot up to 11 and climbing (doesn’t usually happen when I eat this meal, have it weekly).

I am fortunate enough to have not been too ill since being diagnosed with diabetes, not even had a proper cold to speak of really, so just wondering if this seeming insulin resistance with regard to food is normal when only a slight increase in basal seems to have been needed?

Yes, that happens to me sometimes. I tend to stick to ‘easy’ meals where I’m sure of the carbs and often repeat them while I’m ill so I can get the bolus right. Be cautious. Things can change again very quickly. If in doubt, you might prefer to correct if needed rather than risk too much bolus.

Yes, that happens to me sometimes. I tend to stick to ‘easy’ meals where I’m sure of the carbs and often repeat them while I’m ill so I can get the bolus right. Be cautious. Things can change again very quickly. If in doubt, you might prefer to correct if needed rather than risk too much bolus.
Thank you! I’m changing breakfast back to what I used to eat when I was first diagnosed (much less bolus needed so hopefully won’t go as high if I underestimate) and having the same low carb lunch. Will assess tea nearer the time :rofl:

I always assumed illness with T1 was high levels all day so was surprised when the problems only arose at meal times the past couple of days - I guess it must depend on the illness!

I find some illnesses make me go low, some high, and some like to mix highs and lows just to keep me on my toes 🙄 Assume nothing and monitor closely!

I hope you feel better soon x

Thank you @Inka - just out of interest how long would you expect it to last? (I know we are different and every illness is different!). I feel lots better today apart from a runny nose but my insulin requirements are still the same 🙄

I’ve definitely got some sort of virus/cold/sinus thing, had a blocked nose headache and sore throat yesterday along with a very mild temperature, and then today have had a runny nose and felt a bit off (but better than yesterday).

Anyway - I have upped my basal by 1u (always cautious with basal) whilst this is kicking off, and between meals when novorapid isn’t in the mix, I seem to have been a steady line. However when eating (have eaten carbs at 2 of 3 meals today) I’ve skyrocketed - the porridge I have for breakfast is usually 4/5 units - I started going high and thought it was a lack of pre-bolus time that I’d got wrong (has happened before, usually goes up to 10 or 11 and comes back down) but it went up to 13+! I stacked some corrections to get it back down and did end up hypo, but recognised my mistake and sorted it.

Same has just happened with evening meal - I anticipated this may happen, added extra unit to what I may need and it’s still shot up to 11 and climbing (doesn’t usually happen when I eat this meal, have it weekly).

I am fortunate enough to have not been too ill since being diagnosed with diabetes, not even had a proper cold to speak of really, so just wondering if this seeming insulin resistance with regard to food is normal when only a slight increase in basal seems to have been needed?
Hello,

Are you also getting fevers & sweats, achy joints or muscles in the feet during the night?

Like @Inka I find the effect of illness on my bg variable.
I am currently recovering from COVID (yes, it is still around). For the first couple of days, my nose was streaming and seemed to be taking all the sugar with it as I kept going low.
Since then, I have had two "snot-free" days but very achy and needing up to 50% more insulin, especially in the morning.
I am definitely feeling better, albeit lacking in energy, do going for things to be back to normal soon.

Like @Inka I find the effect of illness on my bg variable.
I am currently recovering from COVID (yes, it is still around). For the first couple of days, my nose was streaming and seemed to be taking all the sugar with it as I kept going low.
Since then, I have had two "snot-free" days but very achy and needing up to 50% more insulin, especially in the morning.
I am definitely feeling better, albeit lacking in energy, do going for things to be back to normal soon.
Sorry to hear you’ve been unwell - glad it’s not lasted too long and not wreaked *too* much havoc with your blood sugar. Thanks for your reply - I definitely thought illness was just one long high, so an insight into the fact you’ve gone low with covid is very helpful to me for the future!

No, thankfully!
Pleased to hear it. I had 24 hours of fever & aches. Nothing else. Starting last Friday evening.
Woke Sunday feeling great & did a covid test. Negative.
But my feet were a real concern. A diabetic’s nightmare? I’d had a check up four months prior, all was good on the neuropathy front. The tissue on my feet had all the signs of “shutting down.”
I think we’re all aware of the scary pictures?
Monday. I phoned 111 & got a referral to an A&E. I had to be driven there.
After first seeing a nurse after a 3 hour wait to be asked about a mark on my knuckle. She shrugged suggesting it was way above her pay grade.

i was then referred to a virologist who on actual full inspection of my feet. Finally. Asked me about my “sexual preferences.” Yes, it was surreal.

Good news is I don’t have neuropathy & I don’t need amputation.
I was diagnosed with “foot and mouth.”
My BG has been great since the diagnosis. I just need to “ride it out.”

Sorry to hear that you are feeling poorly @pawprint91 , and @helli and @Satan’s little helper

Like others I find that my levels simply misbehave and are not consistent in their variations. It very much depends on the illness, so it is always a case of monitor and correct as necessary. Not what you want to have to do when feeling ill.

Take care all of you and I hope you feel better soon.

Sorry to hear that you are feeling poorly @pawprint91 , and @helli and @Satan’s little helper

Like others I find that my levels simply misbehave and are not consistent in their variations. It very much depends on the illness, so it is always a case of monitor and correct as necessary. Not what you want to have to do when feeling ill.

Take care all of you and I hope you feel better soon.
Thanks for the kind words.

The irony for me was my BG wasn’t too bad after the first couple of days. “Sick day rules.”
In a matter of hours. I looked like someone who had been self neglecting the condition for years?
Just need to resist the temptation to scratch.

Pleased to hear it. I had 24 hours of fever & aches. Nothing else. Starting last Friday evening.
Woke Sunday feeling great & did a covid test. Negative.
But my feet were a real concern. A diabetic’s nightmare? I’d had a check up four months prior, all was good on the neuropathy front. The tissue on my feet had all the signs of “shutting down.”
I think we’re all aware of the scary pictures?
Monday. I phoned 111 & got a referral to an A&E. I had to be driven there.
After first seeing a nurse after a 3 hour wait to be asked about a mark on my knuckle. She shrugged suggesting it was way above her pay grade.

i was then referred to a virologist who on actual full inspection of my feet. Finally. Asked me about my “sexual preferences.” Yes, it was surreal.

Good news is I don’t have neuropathy & I don’t need amputation.
I was diagnosed with “foot and mouth.”
My BG has been great since the diagnosis. I just need to “ride it out.”
I had that highly unpleasant illness several years ago now - sorry to hear it’s got you too! Thankfully I was fortunate enough to have it when I was non-diabetic! Glad again that it didn’t take your sugars for too much of a ride though. Don’t be alarmed if your feet start to blister - that was the oddest bit for me, that and feeling like there was lumps of glass embedded in my skin (you’ve brought it back with startlingly clarity!). Sending you all the get well wishes!

Thank you @Inka - just out of interest how long would you expect it to last? (I know we are different and every illness is different!). I feel lots better today apart from a runny nose but my insulin requirements are still the same 🙄

It depends. I had one horrible virus that messed with my blood sugar for two or three weeks, but that was unusual. Usually, it’s more like two or three days, and then things start to become more normal.

It depends. I had one horrible virus that messed with my blood sugar for two or three weeks, but that was unusual. Usually, it’s more like two or three days, and then things start to become more normal.
Thank you! Fingers crossed I’m back to normal by the end of the week!

I had that highly unpleasant illness several years ago now - sorry to hear it’s got you too! Thankfully I was fortunate enough to have it when I was non-diabetic! Glad again that it didn’t take your sugars for too much of a ride though. Don’t be alarmed if your feet start to blister - that was the oddest bit for me, that and feeling like there was lumps of glass embedded in my skin (you’ve brought it back with startlingly clarity!). Sending you all the get well wishes!
Hey thanks,
Yes I do have blisters and pox bumps. Looked like the “singing “detective,” I’m just in bare feet. Letting it breathe keeping it clean. Letting this thing abate without potentially damaging the skin further & causing some sort of infection on wounds getting chafed by socks and shoes?

Here is hoping for a quick recovery for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back