Can I stop metformin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullipepper

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I was diagnosed type 2 in june 21 hba1c 7.4. 6 months later I got it down to 6.4 and this week my regular diabetic check showed hb1 now 5.4. I have never had any support from my surgery so wondering if this means i am in remission and no longer need metformin 500mg once a day. Also I received a letter and a prescription in the post for statins. I have not started them as no one has even spoken to me. The chemist have been continually calling me to pressurise me into taking them. My cholesterol and bloods were all normal on my recent results. I am now ignoring the chemist calls..

Last edited:
Contact GP and discuss it with them.The metformin could be the reason why your sugar levels are low as they are.If you have type 2 diabetes you are more at risk of heart issues this is what the statins are for.But at the end of the day your choice no one force you in taking them.

Well done!

I wouldn't stop taking it without advice. The Metformin may be helping quite a lot in the reduction (It can cause a drop of over 1%, so a lot of your reduction might be due to the drug.)

My GP called me to discuss statins when my cholesterol went up after 3 months of diet.

It's not on just getting a letter like that. If a chemist called me like that they'd get told not to call me again. It's none of their business.

Is it the GPs pharmacist or the local chemist's pharmacist (ie boots etc)?
The GP pharmacist often plays an active role in T2 management and comes under the practice and not a local chemist.
(not saying you should take them or not but just to make sure you know who you are dismissing)

In my opinion statins should only be offered if your blood test 'lipids profile' shows your cholesterol to be high. The Total cholesterol reading is not a good enough measure. A lot of GPs offer statins automatically for diabetes. I think this is bad practice and should be offered based on your cholesterol measure.

I tried my best to stay on Metformin.
GP took me off them anyway.
Happy to be on statins.

I'm on statins and they seem to have done the trick of reduced by cholesterol levels. As I have heart issues I intend to stay on them.
As to metformin, I take it but my levels are now OK. I have thought about stopping but as an earlier post says, are my levels low because of the metformin or despite it???
I don't know - my only suggestion is to talk to your DSN or GP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back