Can i get some advice

Marko2020

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So for the past 2 years, my hbc1a has been in the 90s. Now it's my fault because I'm bed bound, etc, and est so much junk food every night. Then my brother took his own life, and I'm just getting over the grieving period now.

My question is, I have cut out chocolate and crisps and lowered my carb intake. I'm not one for having lunch, so just have breakfast, and dinner. Will this help my blood sugars go down? I'm on 3 different types of medicine for my diabetes.

2000 metformin, full doze of glimiperide and full doze of sitagliptin.

Recently since I stopped the junk food I've been feeling very out of it and woozy. One night my heatt rate went to 144 and I slept it off, next day I was fine. I have my diabetic review on Monday as well so I'm going to try and let them give me a few months to see if this new changes are working.

Has anyone ever eating chocoate and crisps then came off it all and there bloods got better ? I read that my body is use to such high levels that maybe now they are lowering I'm getting these strange symptoms as my body isn't use to it.

I cut out the chicken nuggets as well and went for chicken kiev and steaks instead as I was advised from someone very nice on here that it has more chicken to it.

I'm on anti psychotic drugs that don't help the junk food, however I'm trying to distract myself so not to give in to the hunger feeling it gives you.

I'm just looking for advice and people to talk with as I'm alone now days since his death.

I’m Type 1 @Marko2020 but I’d think it would be better to have a small lunch rather than none to provide some stability for your meds, and also to make sure you’re not too hungry later.

You’re doing well. I can imagine how hard it must be for you.

So for the past 2 years, my hbc1a has been in the 90s. Now it's my fault because I'm bed bound, etc, and est so much junk food every night. Then my brother took his own life, and I'm just getting over the grieving period now.

My question is, I have cut out chocolate and crisps and lowered my carb intake. I'm not one for having lunch, so just have breakfast, and dinner. Will this help my blood sugars go down? I'm on 3 different types of medicine for my diabetes.

2000 metformin, full doze of glimiperide and full doze of sitagliptin.

Recently since I stopped the junk food I've been feeling very out of it and woozy. One night my heatt rate went to 144 and I slept it off, next day I was fine. I have my diabetic review on Monday as well so I'm going to try and let them give me a few months to see if this new changes are working.

Has anyone ever eating chocoate and crisps then came off it all and there bloods got better ? I read that my body is use to such high levels that maybe now they are lowering I'm getting these strange symptoms as my body isn't use to it.

I cut out the chicken nuggets as well and went for chicken kiev and steaks instead as I was advised from someone very nice on here that it has more chicken to it.

I'm on anti psychotic drugs that don't help the junk food, however I'm trying to distract myself so not to give in to the hunger feeling it gives you.

I'm just looking for advice and people to talk with as I'm alone now days since his death.
I'm so sorry Mark that you have such a lot to deal with. I guess it's important to be kind to yourself and accept that you can't sort out everything at once. Does the "grieving period" ever really end when we've lost someone very close to us?

I'm so sorry Mark that you have such a lot to deal with. I guess it's important to be kind to yourself and accept that you can't sort out everything at once. Does the "grieving period" ever really end when we've lost someone very close to us?
To be absolutely honest, no it doesn't. I have so many unanswered questions and keeping if I knew how he was feeling then maybe I could of helped. I know there is nothing I could of done though.

We had so many future plans and was even talking about working together once I got better. I never use to be afraid of dieing, however lately I have been terrified and it's awaoken my ocd and I keep checking my pulse every 5 to 10 minutes.

Thank you @Inka . It's hard knowing I will never see or speak to him again , however he would want me to look after myself and live on. I have neglected my diabetes and I shouldn't of. Thank God my kidneys are still okay and even the diabetic nurse is amazed they are considering my hbc1a levels.

That’s the way to think about it: what would he want you to do? Live well and look after yourself. You’ll be doing it for him aswell as for yourself. Losing someone so close to you is very hard. Take things slowly, day by day.

You are doing really well @Marko2020 :star: Anti-psychotics can really play havoc with your appetite...my son went from skeletal to chunky when he was on them. You have also been through the mill losing your brother, and the decision to start eating healthily is an absolute credit to you.
As @Inka says, take things slowly, day by day. Don't look up at the mountain, just edge up a few inches each day. If I'd thought "I have to lose 5 stone" on diagnosis, I'd have given up and gone off to eat cake. So I just plodded on one day at a time and am now so much healthier and happier.
Do it for your brother, and for yourself x

To be absolutely honest, no it doesn't. I have so many unanswered questions and keeping if I knew how he was feeling then maybe I could of helped. I know there is nothing I could of done though.

We had so many future plans and was even talking about working together once I got better. I never use to be afraid of dieing, however lately I have been terrified and it's awaoken my ocd and I keep checking my pulse every 5 to 10 minutes.
I'm wondering, Mark, if it would be worth asking whoever's prescribing your antipsychotics to put you in touch with a counsellor or psychologist, to give you a chance to talk through these very difficult feelings?

Thanks for sharing your experiences @Marko2020

And well done for the amazing strength and determination you are showing. I’m sure your brother would be really proud of you.

We have several members who have had significant success and seen hugely improved BG numbers by cutting back on empty carbs like chocolate, biscuits, and highly-processed foods.

Keep going!

They offered me rybelus but I was too scared to take it as I hqve stomach problems as it is. Should I try it again as I have my renew tomorrow and hbc1a is 94 now instead of 96 but as I stated earlier I was very off the track with eating.

I think that you should take whatever help is being offered and give it a go.

Just got finished with my diabetic appointment. They are very happy about the changes I'm making and that I can sleep through the night without getting up to the toilet as much.

They want me to add lunch to my menu as I have 2 meals a day. They want protein in that meal and was wondering if people had ideas what I could have.

They are leaving me now for 6 months and said if I need them at all then just call. Oh and that night I wasn't feeling good and not eating etc They reckon it was low sugar and I should test if I feel that way as they may need to stop my glimiperide tablets.

I'm happy at this and they said if this doesn't work and I don't loose weight etc then March next year they will try me on rybelus again. I was dreaded they was going to say Insilin, however they said all my bloods except my hbc1a was okay.

Just got finished with my diabetic appointment. They are very happy about the changes I'm making and that I can sleep through the night without getting up to the toilet as much.

They want me to add lunch to my menu as I have 2 meals a day. They want protein in that meal and was wondering if people had ideas what I could have.

They are leaving me now for 6 months and said if I need them at all then just call. Oh and that night I wasn't feeling good and not eating etc They reckon it was low sugar and I should test if I feel that way as they may need to stop my glimiperide tablets.

I'm happy at this and they said if this doesn't work and I don't loose weight etc then March next year they will try me on rybelus again. I was dreaded they was going to say Insilin, however they said all my bloods except my hbc1a was okay.
Did they say why you should eat 3 meals a day?
I ate at 12 hourly intervals for some years and was absolutely fine.

They said that since I'm on 3 different high diabetic pills I need to keep my sugars steady and if I miss a meal then I might go low or high.
I've had diabetes for 12 years and I'm still confused how it all works.

I have noticed since I have lowered my carbs and stooped chocolate etc I'm getting headaches and feeling out of it, if that makes sense?

Im bad as i have breakfast at 9am and then nothing until 6pm and I think that is too long to go without something in between.

I was thinking maybe a egg and some cold meat or something.

Last edited:
Sounds like the DN is pleased with your progress! I think given your hunger with the anti-psychotics, 3 meals a day would be better. Eggs, cheese, nuts, cold meat etc would be a great low carb lunch and will help keep the pangs at bay.
You probably feel "out of it" a bit and headachy because your sugars are reducing. See how you go on 3 lowish carb meals per day as suggested by the DN and hopefully it will soon settle down. You can always ask for another appointment with the DN if you feel the need to before the 6 months is up.
Keep up the really good work, we are all rooting for you 🙂

Lunch options can be soup, hummus, olives, avocados, cooked meat, tuna, mackerel, sardines, with some salad items, eggs, some low carb crackers, yoghurt.

Sounds like the DN is pleased with your progress! I think given your hunger with the anti-psychotics, 3 meals a day would be better. Eggs, cheese, nuts, cold meat etc would be a great low carb lunch and will help keep the pangs at bay.
You probably feel "out of it" a bit and headachy because your sugars are reducing. See how you go on 3 lowish carb meals per day as suggested by the DN and hopefully it will soon settle down. You can always ask for another appointment with the DN if you feel the need to before the 6 months is up.
Keep up the really good work, we are all rooting for you 🙂
Thank you very much for the kind words and I never thought about it as my sugars reducing because all I've been use to for 2 years is extremely high ones.

I also have an appointments with the mental health team dr to discuss these pills. I would rather be off them as they don't do what they was prescribed to do.

This is the most I've been motivated in a very long time and want to keep it going. I associated food with comfort all my life and realising now that I don't need it.

I'll give those ideas a try for lunch.

I have noticed since I have lowered my carbs and stooped chocolate etc I'm getting headaches and feeling out of it, if that makes sense?
Coming off sugar etc can have bad withdrawal symptoms, especially if done abruptly. Sounds like the reaction many people would have doing same thing.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the kind words and I never thought about it as my sugars reducing because all I've been use to for 2 years is extremely high ones.

I also have an appointments with the mental health team dr to discuss these pills. I would rather be off them as they don't do what they was prescribed to do.

This is the most I've been motivated in a very long time and want to keep it going. I associated food with comfort all my life and realising now that I don't need it.
I'll give those ideas a try for lunch.
If you come off the antipsychotics make sure you do so slowly and under the doctors guidance. I recently reduced mine by just 0.5mg and found it a bit tricky. All fine now but definitely a few wobbly days.

If you come off the antipsychotics make sure you do so slowly and under the doctors guidance. I recently reduced mine by just 0.5mg and found it a bit tricky. All fine now but definitely a few wobbly days.
That's what I'm worried about as when I went to 1 tablet I had a horrible time and couldn't stop my mind from racing etc. Just was very panicky too.

Back