Can I get Libre 2 on prescription.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellymill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hiya I am on NovoRapid 50 units and Abasgaglar 80 units. I have the Novo before my meal and the Abas before bed. My last HB1a came back 60 10 higher than my last so I panicked and got a Libre 2 trail and am finding it useful. I was contacted by the DNS and I told her about the Libre and she said she would ask the Dr last Monday and said she would phone me and let me know but I haven't heard from her. I am Bi Polar and have not been coping with my diabetes for quite some time and am finding it overwhelming and my carer has linked to the sensor and is now trying to help me.
I should be eating 3 meals a day meaning that I should be injecting more frequently and have read that if you frequently inject you can get Libre on the NHS.
What has your experience been?

There are additional criteria to meet it’s not just the number of injections. You need to be injecting 2+ times a day and have to have also been advised to test 8+ times a day in my area to qualify for libre funding as a type2. You can look up the requirements for your area as it will depend on where you live.

Hi i was prescribed Libre 2 on prescription although i only have one injection of insulin a day, I was asked to finger prick 8 times and I also wasn't aware i was having hypos, it was my GP who prescribed me not the DN

Thank you @Lucyr and @Pam123 for your response will see if I can find my areas guidelines. A lot of issues have come together today and I am hoping to see GP tomoz I have a lot to discuss.

A lot of issues have come together today and I am hoping to see GP tomoz I have a lot to discuss.
Maybe you need to make multiple appts? It is one issue per appointment at mine.

Thank you @Lucyr and @Pam123 for your response will see if I can find my areas guidelines. A lot of issues have come together today and I am hoping to see GP tomoz I have a lot to discuss.
Good luck i hope all goes well,I did get the impression from my GP it was new rules not in a persific area that had been set out, i went to see him myself as he is the Diabetic lead at our surgery and the DN is useless, i had at the time just had a free trail and showed him the results and he then after questioning me said I qualified, It has been a game changer for me.

Good luck i hope all goes well,I did get the impression from my GP it was new rules not in a persific area that had been set out
There is guidance issued to all of England yes, but each area then decides whether they’re going to follow it or not. The guidance suggests specific scenarios where type 2s may qualify for libre and it’s more than just taking insulin.

There is guidance issued to all of England yes, but each area then decides whether they’re going to follow it or not. The guidance suggests specific scenarios where type 2s may qualify for libre and it’s more than just taking insulin.
well hopefully Shelly will be lucky, I am only going on what my GP said and he informed me had I been having more than one injection I would not have needed any other reason to meet the guidelines

well hopefully Shelly will be lucky, I am only going on what my GP said and he informed me had I been having more than one injection I would not have needed any other reason to meet the guidelines
The guideline for T2s is not just “more than one injection”. You can find them below.

The guideline for T2s is not just “more than one injection”. You can find them below.

I am not about to argue with you I am only trying to help someone who wants to get Libre 2 on prescription AND
reporting what I was told by my GP who gave me a one year prescription

I am not about to argue with you I am only trying to help someone who wants to get Libre 2 on prescription AND
reporting what I was told by my GP who gave me a one year prescription
Hello, I met a fellow Libre wearer in a bar, back last summer? We were chatting & it transpired she was an insulin dependent Type 2 with the sensors on prescription. She loved the device. It can happen.

I am not about to argue with you I am only trying to help someone who wants to get Libre 2 on prescription
I’m not arguing, it’s just that to help them get the libre on prescription they need to know what the criteria are so that they can decide how they meet them and have that explanation ready before the appointment.

If they go into the appointment thinking “well Pam said I only need to be doing multiple injections to qualify” and the doctor says “well no there’s other criteria too” then they would be unlikely to get it because they haven’t thought through the explanation

Hopefully they get a doctor that sees the benefits and is willing to prescribe without persuasion but you can’t count on that. That’s why I’ve sent the guidelines over, the best information would be the rules adopted in their local area but they are likely to be similar to the England guidelines if in England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back