Can I ask for your help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I am Type 2, diagnosed for 7 years.

Brilliant and helpful GP and nurses at the local surgery.

My question to others is - have you ever experienced drastic changes in your readings. My readings, normally averaged 5.0 to 6.5 - then suddenly this year rocketed up to an average of 15+.

My lifestyle, nor my diet have changed - the only thing is stress. My mother died, and I lost my job.

My GP has been brilliant! She has changed my meds a few times and now my readings are SLOWLY coming down.

I am still concerned that almost overnight my readings shot up and wonder if anyone else has experienced anything similar and if so, how did you cope?🙂.

Hazel, I went through a phase a month or so ago, when I couldn't get my levels down below 10. No matter what I chose to eat or how much I tried to adjust my insulin, it just wouldn't go down. I wasn't aware that I was doing anything differently from my normal routine - maybe I was a bit more stressed, but that's all. Things seem to have sorted themselves out now and I'm back to my usual readings (around 8ish). I guess these things just happen.

Hi. I am Type 2, diagnosed for 7 years.

Brilliant and helpful GP and nurses at the local surgery.

My question to others is - have you ever experienced drastic changes in your readings. My readings, normally averaged 5.0 to 6.5 - then suddenly this year rocketed up to an average of 15+.

My lifestyle, nor my diet have changed - the only thing is stress. My mother died, and I lost my job.

My GP has been brilliant! She has changed my meds a few times and now my readings are SLOWLY coming down.

I am still concerned that almost overnight my readings shot up and wonder if anyone else has experienced anything similar and if so, how did you cope?🙂.

I would have thought that the stress of losing your mother and also your job would be more than enough to throw your metabolism.

Sounds as if you have a caring and understanding GP who hasn't just dismissed your problem.
It will probably only come down slowly as the stress of watching that happening is an added factor.

Hope you are soon back to a normal BG. Let us know.

That happened to me last year. I am now on 150mgs of metformin a day, which I find hard on the stomach, though I am losing weight now. I was diagnosed with diabetes not long after losing my wife to cancer. I feel that there might be a connection but it could be coincidence.

Stress is a definite factor that raises blood sugar levels. A lot of people are diagnosed T2 after envountering stressful situations. Your adrenelin levels will be high, causing certain changes to your body that will effect your BS levels.

Sometimes reducing stress levels will result in lower levels, sometimes it takes an increase or change in medication.

I agree with the stress part, also I have been quite surprised how many of my friends were diagnosed after a hysterectomy op.:confused:

I agree with the stress part, also I have been quite surprised how many of my friends were diagnosed after a hysterectomy op.:confused:

A hysterectomy is a MAJOR stress on the body. You might not feel the stress emotionally, in fact the procedure might make you feel better if it resolves a problem, but for a woman's body it's a huge shock. The hormonal changes that occur would also contribute to insulin resistance.

Sorry you're experiencing this Hazel. My situation is a little different but my blood glucose shoots up for no reason at about 5am. It's really frustrating to have hyperglycaemia through no fault of your own, i.e. mismanagement. It's great that you have a supportive team, I hope it continues to improve!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back