Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi,
My blood sugars have been taking ages to come down after meals today, down under ten by meal times but then peak an hour after meal and drop really slowly. As its down by meal times I cant give a correction dose. Just wondering it its hot like it has been today if the heat can make it come down slower than usual? My sensor has been giving me sudden drops when out it the sun but it goes back up after being back indoors suggesting that the sensor cant cope with the heat. Finger prick tests dont show the drop so I think its false from the sensor.

Usually hot weather will reduce the need for insulin.

We are all different.
Some of us find our blood sugars fall when the temperature increases and some find they rise.
Mine fall. I believe this is because I like the warmth and it gives me the chance to get out and move around more.
However, some people don’t enjoy the hear ms find it stressful.

My unproven hypothesis is that the way your blood sugars react to warmer days is related to how much you enjoy the heat or how uncomfortable it makes you.

It seems to vary from person to person. My daughter tends to run high in hot weather but other people run low. Sensor issues can happen if there’s not enough fluid which can be more common in hot weather so keep an eye on that.

YES - v. important for the Libre to function properly for us to stay constantly well hydrated,

In direct heat my BGs have been going up. :confused:

We are all different.
Some of us find our blood sugars fall when the temperature increases and some find they rise.
Mine fall. I believe this is because I like the warmth and it gives me the chance to get out and move around more.
However, some people don’t enjoy the hear ms find it stressful.

My unproven hypothesis is that the way your blood sugars react to warmer days is related to how much you enjoy the heat or how uncomfortable it makes you.
I've never been a fan of the heat. The weekends temps where just right for me but yesterdays was too much.

No where near as hot here today and BG seem to be more of the numbers I usually have at the moment.

The heat can also affect the way insulin works so try to keepmit cool where possible. I use a Frio wallet in the hot weather to help with this.

The heat can also affect the way insulin works so try to keepmit cool where possible. I use a Frio wallet in the hot weather to help with this.
How do you use the frio @Piglet, would you need two wallets to swap? And how do you carry it around? Just read it needs air around it?

The inner pouch is filled with a silica gel ( feels gritty when dry) which turns into gel when wet. Place the inner pouch in a container of cold water until the gel has expanded to the point of having very little give when squeezed. Insert you insulin pen into the inner pouch. You then put the inner pouch into the outer pouch. The air circulates around the outer pouch and the evaporation keeps it cold. These can then be carried loose in any bag. Do Not place and seal in a plastic bag as they will smell of mildew. The pouches keep active for 2-3 days and then you simply recharge by putting the inner pouch into cold water again. They fit in handbags and pockets (warning the outer pouch can get a bit damp to begin with) They come in various sizes from a single pen to one big enough for a pack of 5 pens.

fantastic for Holidays in hot climates or for use at home in our barmy summers.....

Ps I do not work for Frio but they are brill and really easy to use. I have 3 in various sizes.

Temperatures in the UK rarely get hot enough to need Frio pouches. I have them for when I go on holidays to tropical climates but never needed them at home and not had problems with my insulin getting too hot.
I just avoid leaving it in direct sunlight or in a hot car and, when I carry it in my bag, I put it in the middle of my gumpf to provide some insulation.

The inner pouch is filled with a silica gel ( feels gritty when dry) which turns into gel when wet. Place the inner pouch in a container of cold water until the gel has expanded to the point of having very little give when squeezed. Insert you insulin pen into the inner pouch. You then put the inner pouch into the outer pouch. The air circulates around the outer pouch and the evaporation keeps it cold. These can then be carried loose in any bag. Do Not place and seal in a plastic bag as they will smell of mildew. The pouches keep active for 2-3 days and then you simply recharge by putting the inner pouch into cold water again. They fit in handbags and pockets (warning the outer pouch can get a bit damp to begin with) They come in various sizes from a single pen to one big enough for a pack of 5 pens.

fantastic for Holidays in hot climates or for use at home in our barmy summers.....

Ps I do not work for Frio but they are brill and really easy to use. I have 3 in various sizes.
Are you sure ? . Sounds good I think I'm going to give it a whirl. I've got a cool gel pad for my wallet but it doesn't last long even in the insulated wallet .

@Piglet , morning sorry just another question. How do you carry your needles with them? Is there a net in the outer pouch?

Morning Gill Rogers,

I would say if you are really good and change your needle for every use, a small sandwich bag or small tupperware style box in a pocket or hand bag might work for days out. If you are using at home store needles as normal.

i’m not that good so don’t worry about needle storage on days out.
hope this helps
Piglet

The weather can certainly affect things.

I‘m another that generally finds my insulin sensitivity increases in warmer weather, and my insulin needs drop rather than rise.

Hope you find a strategy that works for you @gillrogers 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back