Can diabetics somehow expedite treatment ?

ScouseJB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have had a foot infection for several months and the GP has tried several different antibiotics with no success. I have self-referred to the local nhs podiatry clinic and been told it will be four months before they can see me. I'm type 2 and all the literature I've been given says foot problems need to be sorted asap but my current problem is nearing six months and only the GP (who has no clue) has seen me.

I have had a foot infection for several months and the GP has tried several different antibiotics with no success. I have self-referred to the local nhs podiatry clinic and been told it will be four months before they can see me. I'm type 2 and all the literature I've been given says foot problems need to be sorted asap but my current problem is nearing six months and only the GP (who has no clue) has seen me.
In order to make sure they prescribe the correct antibiotic they really need to take a swab of the infected area and send it to the lab.
I had an infected toe where the nail had become partly detached but antibiotic, clarithromycin sorted the infection but I waited 3 months for NHS podiatry appointment for dealing with the toe nail. By the time I got the appointment it had largely sorted itself out as the new nail was growing up underneath.
I know it goes against the grain but you could try a private podiatrist whilst you wait.

Having had a problem with macerated wounds on my right foot and three infections (one fungal and two bacterial) and having lost my lower left leg to what started ad an ingrowing toenail I feel for you. Do you have a lsi of what antibiotics have been tried and in which order. I have mixed views about private podiatrists despite having seen one for over twenty years. Previously I had been treated successfully for minor infections but when things got serious he referred me to the GP!

I suggested my toe needed swabbing the first time i seen the GP, he responded "we don't need to do that". I've had so far, flucloxacilin 1wk, clarithromycin 2wk, doxycycline 3 wks, flucloxacilin 1wk, flucloxacilin 1wk. I paid for an initial private consultation with a podiatrist, who believes the underlying problem is a "retronychia" and that i will need an operation to permanently remove my big toe nail. The cost for a private operation is prohibitive. With this being my first real issue, i just thought (foolishly) the NHS would some how prioritise diabetics with foot issues.

I suggested my toe needed swabbing the first time i seen the GP, he responded "we don't need to do that". I've had so far, flucloxacilin 1wk, clarithromycin 2wk, doxycycline 3 wks, flucloxacilin 1wk, flucloxacilin 1wk. I paid for an initial private consultation with a podiatrist, who believes the underlying problem is a "retronychia" and that i will need an operation to permanently remove my big toe nail. The cost for a private operation is prohibitive. With this being my first real issue, i just thought (foolishly) the NHS would some how prioritise diabetics with foot issues.
That is what the plan was for my toe nail, to remove and treat the nail bed so it wouldn't grow again /after I had the initial assessment but when the podiatrist looked the decided it was fine without that and he just snipped away the loose toe nail.
He advised using a course file on the surface of the new nail as it was quite rough and to coat with Vick daily. It is now doing well.
You do sound to have had a whole range of antibiotics, I wonder if it is worth trying either VIck or a tea tree oil preparation as that is very antibacterial. The other thing would be silver or manuka impregnated dressings as both are antibacterial.

... believes the underlying problem is a "retronychia"
No help, sorry but - wow, a rare one!

The condition emerged as a distinct entity in 2008 when De Berker et al. presented a series of 19 cases in meetings of the European Nail Society (ENS). Less than 100 cases of retronychia have been reported in the literature.

I guess not surprising if your GP isn't on top of this.

Back