Can diabetes affect replacement lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC-pragmatist

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Newbie here. About 5 years ago I had my cataracts sorted out and replacement lenses installed. Very recently my AC1 blood test result had gone up to 58 which may explain the blurry vision I've been experiencing for some time. My understanding is that blood sugar levels can affect the lens shape. Does anyone know if that also applies to replacement lenses? I would have thought not, but, as a newbie, I know nothing so would appreciate anyone with experience of this situation.

Newbie here. About 5 years ago I had my cataracts sorted out and replacement lenses installed. Very recently my AC1 blood test result had gone up to 58 which may explain the blurry vision I've been experiencing for some time. My understanding is that blood sugar levels can affect the lens shape. Does anyone know if that also applies to replacement lenses? I would have thought not, but, as a newbie, I know nothing so would appreciate anyone with experience of this situation.
Welcome to the forum
If through the effort of dietary changes and /or medication blood glucose fall quickly then that can cause blurry vision as the shape of the eye changes. It usually settles down for most people in a few weeks but for some it can be longer.
If people go to the optician because of that they should not prescribe new glasses.
In your situation I should speak to your optician.

I had this too. You may have Posterior Capsular Opacification (PCO) but obviously you need a medical opinion,

‘PCO results from the growth and abnormal proliferation of LECs on the capsule at the time of cataract surgery. These cells migrate to the posterior capsule where they approach the central visual axis and cause visual axis obscuration, resulting in dimness of vision.’

You may need YAG laser surgery which I had on my left eye following lens replacement for cataracts (3 yrs ago). It’s a quick, painless laser procedure which restores the vision. I now need my right one doing. It happens to a percentage of cataract replacements regardless of diabetes but of course that can increase risk of this happening. Ask to see an ophthalmic surgeon. I paid privately and it was £400 but they’ll do it if necessary on the NHS.
Its absolutely nothing to worry about, restores the sight completely and only side effect is temporary floaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back