Can cognitive behavioural therapy really change our brains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy HB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is a type of talking therapy that's used to treat a wide range of mental health problems, from depression and eating disorders to phobias and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). It recommends looking at ourselves in a different way that might prove useful for all of us in everyday life. But what happens to our brains when we have CBT?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/0/23590545

It suggests that we change our behaviour to better cope with the thing we can't currently handle - coping strategies!

It's like saying, you know it's stupid getting drunk every night -how about watching telly 6 nights a week instead of going down the pub? and persuading your brain it's not a bad idea and worth trying.

It suggests that we change our behaviour to better cope with the thing we can't currently handle - coping strategies!

It's like saying, you know it's stupid getting drunk every night -how about watching telly 6 nights a week instead of going down the pub? and persuading your brain it's not a bad idea and worth trying.

I am sorry, but I am not sure what point you are making.

I do know that my father gained some benefit from CBT because it gave him some grounding when trying to deal with certain feelings as and when they arose rather than being overcome by them.

It was also used in conjunction with various antidepressants (see the other recent article posted), which is why I decided to post this article as well.

CBT can be a very valuable tool in helping people find ways to deal with issues that would normally drive them to harmful acts such as drinking too much, doing drugs, eating/not eating or sinking into depression. It gives the person other ways to deal with their problem(s) that don't lead to destructive behaviour. Used in conjunction with other forms of therapy it can form part of a package that will allow the individual to lead a far healthier life. It can include distraction techniques like the ones I use to deal with anxiety or any number of other ways to address whatever the individual issue is.

CBT is now a very common tool used in psychotherapy and counselling these days as a practical alternative/adjunct to sitting on the couch and telling the doctor all about it.

"Replacing negative/unrealistic thought patterns with more positive/realistic ones" - I've only dipped my toe into CBT, but was amazed at the rapid results it had. I think it's an important tool. When I used it, I'd backed myself into a corner, and CBT helped me out. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back