Can Beta Blockers cause new onset diabetes I'm very worried about this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am not currently diagnosed as diabetic however I take proprananol to help with my anxiety. Ive been on various doses over the years and currently take 10 or 20mg per day. Anyway yesterday I stumbled upon an article online saying that BB's can increase or cause diabetes this has really freaked me out. I ended up goggling it and found loads of info on the topic. Mainly info saying that people who take BB's (Propranolol) to lower their blood pressure have an increase risk of getting diabetes. What I can't find though is any info on the dose of BB (propranolol) taken or duration of treatment that causes this raised risk.

The doses taken to lower blood pressure are huge compared to those given for anxiety. What Im trying to find out is if there is a direct link between the amount of propranolol taken and the increased risk of getting daibetes and if there is any risk with the relatively low doses taken for anxiety. The dose to treat high blood pressure is 80mg twice a day and up to 160mg twice a day. None of the studies I've read comment on this they just say taking Propranolol may increase the risk of getting diabetes. Please any info on this will help ease my worried mind thanks Owain

No! This is a result of poor research. Many people who start on beta blockers for BP are already at high risk of diabetes; overweight or obese, poor diet, little exercise, raised cholesterol and raised BP. Stop worrying and maybe consider a different therapy like CBT.

There is no mention of propranolol causing diabetes in any of the official reports on its side effects, even at the very rare sections. The only effect that propranolol has on diabetes is that it can suppress the symptoms of low blood sugar.

So why do you see so may reports of this happening? For the reason that @MikeyBikey says. Those on propranolol for high BP are often overweight and with poor lifestyle choices, so at risk of developing diabetes. It's part of what we used to call Metabolic Syndrome. Of course, they start on propranolol and go on to develop diabetes, and blame the drug rather than their lifestyle. Once one reports this, all the rest come out saying - oh yes, I developed diabetes while on propranolol.

So don't worry - if you eat a healthy diet, and aren't overweight, you don't smoke, you are no more likely to develop diabetes than anybody else, particularly if it doesn't run in your relatives. So if the propranolol helps with your anxiety, keep taking it.

@MikeyBikey 's response may be a bit terse but I agree with his sentiment.
Beta Blockers may raise blood sugars but, if you don't have diabetes, your pancreas will release the necessary insulin to manage this. Raised blood sugars does not cause diabetes, inability to manage raised levels is the problem.
I notice you posed the same question on the diabetes.co.uk forum and got the same answer.

As you are concerned, I recommend sharing your concern with your doctor and maybe asking for assistance to ease your anxiety around diabetes.

@MikeyBikey 's response may be a bit terse but I agree with his sentiment.
Beta Blockers may raise blood sugars but, if you don't have diabetes, your pancreas will release the necessary insulin to manage this. Raised blood sugars does not cause diabetes, inability to manage raised levels is the problem.
I notice you posed the same question on the diabetes.co.uk forum and got the same answer.

As you are concerned, I recommend sharing your concern with your doctor and maybe asking for assistance to ease your anxiety around diabetes.
HI thanks for the reply am I right in my assumption that the higher the dose a person takes then the greater the effect it will have in terms of raising blood sugars and thus poetentially causing damage.

I have been on a BB since 2008 (80mg) from 2008-2016 then 40 mg from 2016-2019 then off for 2 years, Now back on the 20mg.

If they were going to have any effect on my blood sugar levels would it have happened by now?
If I was going to get diabetes cause of the BB use do you think it would have happened by now?

During the above mentioned periods all my blood tests have come back normal and my HbA1c was 37 last time it was measured in 2019

Eating will raise your blood sugar - as will stress. Blood sugar isn’t static, it goes up and down. Your HbA1C of 37 shows you don’t have diabetes. Read MikeyB’s post above. He knows what he’s talking about.

HI thanks for the reply am I right in my assumption that the higher the dose a person takes then the greater the effect it will have in terms of raising blood sugars and thus poetentially causing damage.

I have been on a BB since 2008 (80mg) from 2008-2016 then 40 mg from 2016-2019 then off for 2 years, Now back on the 20mg.

If they were going to have any effect on my blood sugar levels would it have happened by now?
If I was going to get diabetes cause of the BB use do you think it would have happened by now?

During the above mentioned periods all my blood tests have come back normal and my HbA1c was 37 last time it was measured in 2019

I don’t think anyone knows when or if you are going to get diabetes whatever the reason.
You mention you have been off the meds for 2 years. Any potential damage they may have done cannot be undone. Therefore, you should focus on what you can do to reduce risk now and in the future.

I cannot answer your questions in terms of the effects of different dosage.
You are clearly concerned about this so please talk to someone about it. A doctor who knows you and your medical history is far more likely to give you a useful answer than a stranger on a forum.

Longterm perhaps you could explore other ways of dealing with your anxiety. Depending on the cause, counselling can be good, or CBT or mindfulness.

Eating will raise your blood sugar - as will stress. Blood sugar isn’t static, it goes up and down. Your HbA1C of 37 shows you don’t have diabetes. Read MikeyB’s post above. He knows what he’s talking about.
That was 3 years ago though. When I had my blood's done last year the doc said I did not need my blood glucose or HbA1c checked again as they were fine in 2019. Don't understand her logic on that one?

That was 3 years ago though. When I had my blood's done last year the doc said I did not need my blood glucose or HbA1c checked again as they were fine in 2019. Don't understand her logic on that one?

Perhaps you don’t have any of the risk factors for Type 2? If you’re getting enough exercise, are eating pretty healthily and have a good BMI then you should be confident. Those things are good for your general health.

I eat very healthy lots of fruit and veg oats whole grains. I used to walk at least an hour a day but over the last few months due to my mental health issues Ive not been getting out. My BMI is just on the overweight range. I don't smoke or drink though

I really rate walking as a form of exercise as it’s great for mental health too, especially if you can get somewhere green. But if you can’t go out, then try some indoor exercises. There are lots of free routines on YouTube or you could get a DVD. You’ll still get the benefits of endorphins indoors. You don’t have to do massive exercise regimes. Small, maintained healthy habits all add up.

You could even combine exercise and mindfulness and try something like Tai Chi or Yoga.

The 10 or 20mg dose you take it absolutely tiny, even for anxiety, I take 120mg of Propanalol per day for anxiety. There aren’t any links that I know of, but you’re on such a tiny dose that if you’re concerned you could discuss stopping it and using other methods to manage your anxiety instead. I’d imagine it’s more a placebo effect at that dose than much impact on lowering your pulse etc.

Mate - be guided by what @mikeyB has told you, if no-one else. Thing is - he is actually a retired Doctor! Whereas the vast majority of the rest of us, aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back