Can anyone give me advice about Atorvastatin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have been taking Atorvastatin for some years now and i think it as given me ED. What can i do

Hi.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with ED. I see you have mentioned this on another thread. What makes you think the medication is responsible for this issue?

What is your diabetes management like? Unfortunately I think it is more likely that high BG levels are responsible for your ED than Atorvastatin. You mention that you have been Type 2 for 25 years. What medication do you use to manage your diabetes and what sort of HbA1c results do you normally get at your annual review?
Do you test your BG levels at home and if so, what sort of readings do you get before and 2 hours after food?

I have been taking Atorvastatin for some years now and i think it as given me ED. What can i do

Is this the only medication you take?
Are you being treated for anything else other than type 2?

I would ask you whether you have actually mentioned this to any medic you actually see regarding your diabetes or for anything else - cos to get medical help for it on the NHS, you do absolutely need to discuss it with somebody properly qualified because there really are any number of different things available to treat it these days, though not all of them will be suitable for all blokes. And yes, I do know a bit about it, about it as my own husband had his aggressive prostate cancer removed surgically which indeed saved his life - BUT we were both made very aware prior to him deciding on the op it would destroy the relevant nerve and prevent erections happening naturally - and nobody wanted that.

Nerve damage from poorly managed diabetes resulting in higher than wanted blood glucose for a long time can have the same effect but may manifest itself 'on the inside of the body' as well as on the outside like pain in the feet/legs. I've always wondered how many blokes with (or indeed without) diabetes just don't bother mentioning their ED to their doctors and just make the assumption it's just 'their age'. Not everything is merely caused by ageing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back