Can and can,t eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse James

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, i,ve been checked and told i have type 2 diabetes what food or snacks should i avoid ?

It depends on how far into the diabetes range you are, but for a type two with no interesting oddities in their metabolism then the advice has to be 'look at the carbs' - they are both starches and sugars.
If you can - for instance, reduce the high starch foods - bread, cake, potatoes and other root veges then that should be a good start - most easily done by making swaps and if you can get a glucose testing meter to see how your levels can be reduced down week on week then you could get back to normal numbers in weeks.
It is recommended to drop levels gradually as a sudden change is rather a shock.

As mentioned it depends on how far you are into the diabetic zone as to how much work you need to do with dietary changes, reduction in portion size of high carb foods and cutting out those things like cakes, biscuits, pastries and sugary drinks including fruit juice will go a long way, keeping snacks to low carb foods like nuts rather than crisps.
Foods on which to base meals are meat, fish, eggs, cheese, vegetables, salads and fruit like berries but with only small portions of the high carb usually fillers like potatoes, rice, pasta and bread.
This link may help you with some meal ideas as it is a low carb approach which many people find successful. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back