Can a type 2 have a hypo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Diet controlled that is - Just wondering.

Not unless you're hungry or have a period of extended exercise, in which case you'll behave just like a non-diabetic (i.e. in these cases, a non-diabetic could go hypo too).

Type 2's can go hypo with meds like gliclazide, which stimulates the pancreas to produce insulin. Apparently, it can also happen with metformin, but that is much less likely.

Andy

Thanks it seems logical and is what I thought but never had a place to ask before 🙂

Less likely, but not impossible for anyone to have a hypo given the right circumstances. I also find if I have had an upset tummy I have to be carefull too.

I'm on Metformin and Sitagliptin. When I was first put on sitagliptin, my GP advised that it was possible to have a hypo.
So far my lowest reading was 4.7, but I average 5.5-6.5 throughout the day.

If you're not on meds then it's unlikely, but not impossible. If you're taking something like Gliclazide then it's probable that you will (my record when on that was 1.8), or if you're on Sitagliptin, it's a bit less likely, but could happen. Having said all that, if your bloods are coming down into the normal range you may get the symptoms of a hypo without actually being low because your body's used to the higher levels. It takes a while to adjust. Have you been getting symptoms?

If you're not on meds then it's unlikely, but not impossible. If you're taking something like Gliclazide then it's probable that you will (my record when on that was 1.8), or if you're on Sitagliptin, it's a bit less likely, but could happen. Having said all that, if your bloods are coming down into the normal range you may get the symptoms of a hypo without actually being low because your body's used to the higher levels. It takes a while to adjust. Have you been getting symptoms?

No symptoms - just wondering - thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back