Can a type 2 get a hypo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kopiert

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Odd one this. I am a type two with my diabetes under control through diet alone.

Before I was diagnosed, and just after, I use to get what I would call diabetic rages. For those of you who have ever smoked the feeling was similar to the feelings you get when you haven't had a fag for a couple of days. Once I got everything under control I have not really had any of these "rages".

This morning, while doing the washing up, of all things, I suddenly got really really anxious and angry and getting tearful. It came for nowhere. I had not breakfast and suddenly got a craving for food. There was a couple of chocolate biscuits which I grabbed and munched on pretty quickly. I sort of gained my composure and thought after that much sugar I should check my blood. I was surprised it can in at a 5.3. Which after a couple of biscuits is pretty low. Also my hands are so cold, I mean bitter hurting frozen, although my wife says they feel warm. The two may not be connected.

So I wondered if I had had a hypo, and if those symptoms I described are those caused by a drop in blood glucose. It maybe nothing of course, but one thing I have learned on this forum is that there is almost nothing that is just a coincidence.

Would love to hear your opinion

Nick

Last edited:
If you tested soon after the chocolate biscuits, your blood sugar wouldn’t have reached its peak. The best thing to do if you feel like that again is to test immediately (before eating anything). How’s your blood sugar normally? Sometimes if you’ve been a bit high, a low normal blood sugar can feel like a hypo.

Nick you’re generally in what sort of range when you test?
Have you made any drastic changes to diet very recently?
Are you coming down with something maybe?
Strenuous exercise yesterday?
A westerly wind?
Upset the diabetes fairy unintentionally?

check this HERE
This one might put your mind at rest more HERE

@Inka @ColinUK thanks for coming back. I agree I would normally test before hand. However, given I was throwing (plastic) cups around the kitchen in anger I was not in the frame of of mind. The test I did was around 20/30mins after. I have just test again - about hour later and it is around 5.9

Colin - I guess my normal readings are around 6 to 6.5, but before a meal I am happy if it is in the mid to late 5s. This score was about 30 mins after eating the biscuits. If I was a betting man I would have guessed at around 7.5 after eating those biscuits.

I am under a lot of stress at the moment at work, which I am really struggling with. A lot of internal and client demands etc etc. No other changes.

I am sure it was nothing, but did want to get your thoughts, so thank you

Nick

Last edited:
It might just be a stress related thing rather than a diabetes related thing.

Hopefully next week is better than this one and that the stress eases.

Aaaargghh, stress!! When the 'fight or flight' natural reaction to stress (or trauma) kicks in the cortisol produced usually causes BG to change PDQ and therefore the BG increases equally quickly (=blind rage) BUT is shortly followed by an equally swift drop in BG. This is NOT good! - as you now know.

Daft thing is, it's only 'Us lot' with diabetes and blood glucose monitors immediately at hand, who get to witness it.

If it's any consolation I've only experienced this for two periods in my life - once when my female hormones went haywire in my middle 40s and the other with work stress. I had the first cured surgically and the other by retiring early from paid employment.

However that may assist folk to be a bit more sympathetic to their female partners hormonal red mists, it's a totally vile feeling, because you know that you can't actually control it, isn't it?

Sorry to hear you’ve had a bit of a wobble @Kopiert

People without diabetes can get readings in the 3s, and may experience extreme hunger, lightheadedness and other symptoms, but their levels are unlikely to drop lower than the mid 3s, and their livers will often sort things out.

For people who have been running BGs a little higher for sometime the ‘glucose thermostat’ can get a bit wonky such that levels in the 4s, or which are dropping sharply at lowish levels can trigger dramatic counteregulatory hormone responses and strong warning signs.

Hopefully you can keep your levels fairly even and steadier for a bit and it will be a while before you experience those unpleasant side effects of low BG again 🙂

Thank you all @everydayupsanddowns , @trophywench , @ColinUK ,@janw, @Inka .

Putting the bits together I think it probably was stress related - work is extraordinarily stressful at the moment. The notion of my 'glucose thermostat' being out of alignment, combined with a large and sudden variance feels about right.

I have never experienced anything like that in my life, I am relived I wasn't in a crowded space, or heaven forbid, in a car.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back