Cameron faces TTIP showdown over NHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The government is coming under increasing fire for its refusal to remove health services from irreversible privatisation in TTIP.

This Friday will see the first Commons debate of Eltham MP Clive Efford’s bill to save the NHS from irreversible privatisation. Members of the public will gather in Parliament Square from 7pm on Thursday for an all-night vigil to support the initiative. Further demonstrations are planned for Friday itself.

The bill focuses on reversing some of the worst impacts of the Health & Social Care Act 2012, which has already seen 70 per cent of new NHS contracts outsourced to the private sector. Yet the final section also seeks to exempt the NHS from the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP), the controversial treaty currently being negotiated in secret between the European Commission and the US government.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/ournhs/john-hilary/cameron-faces-ttip-showdown-over-nhs

I dont often go against the conservatives but i have warned against this for a few years now.

I dont often go against the conservatives but i have warned against this for a few years now.

Their response seems to be 'oh it won't affect the NHS' - so WHY NOT REMOVE IT FROM THE NEGOTIATIONS!!!!! 😡 :(

No government should place themselves and their country at risk of legal action by a corporation in the pursuit of profit :(

Their response seems to be 'oh it won't affect the NHS' - so WHY NOT REMOVE IT FROM THE NEGOTIATIONS!!!!! 😡 :(

No government should place themselves and their country at risk of legal action by a corporation in the pursuit of profit :(

As I understand it Alan it was already signed away to our European partners by the last Labour government and what is happening is an extension of that or certainly an extension of the authority we have already given them. The coalition don't seem to have the balls to want to reverse that.

It's actually interesting to see what we actually signed up to and how we were not given the promised referendum is totally beyond me as all the other member states had one.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=OJ:C:2007:306:FULL&from=EN

A quick read see article 2b gives them everything they need for competition rules.

Last edited:
LOL - there's a blanket petition to all the MPs on 38 degrees. I tried to sign it - but the website fell over cos so was everyone else!

Did it this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back