Cambridge hospital consultant backs new asthma report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A consultant at a Cambridge NHS trust says asthma deaths could be significantly reduced if recommendations from a new report are implemented.

This week’s first confidential enquiry report from the Royal College of Physicians, entitled ‘Why Asthma Still Kills’, found nearly half of the patients included in the study who died from the condition did not have any medical help during their final asthma attack.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Hea...ting-attack-triggers-early-20140510082036.htm

I was shocked when that was on the news.

I know very little about asthma, eldest stepdaughter has it, but less so now she's adult and I have never ever witnessed her having an attack.

That's basically it as far as I go.

It's like diabetes, you just wouldn't find out about it unless it affected your life but if it did (or your child or your other half) I would expect you to make it your business to find out. Better to turn up at A&E and be labelled paranoid, in my book, rather than have someone die.

It was one of those things I suffered from periodically as a child, but only on very rare occasions - it's the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced, but I was lucky to grow out of it along with the eczema. My grandmother had it - and it killed her in the end. My best friend's mother has it. It's very common up here and I know quite a few folk who struggle with it. Frankly, I'd rather have diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back