Cambridge health experts urge people to have faith in NHS flu jab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Cambridge health experts are urging people to have faith in the NHS flu jab given to millions of vulnerable people this year, following the recent announcement that it offers almost no protection.

Public Health England (PHE) said the £100million programme is only three per cent effective because experts misjudged the dominant strain.

The findings on mid-season flu vaccine effectiveness in the UK published in journal Eurosurveillence and based on the results from 1,314 patients across the UK, compares to about 50 per cent vaccine effectiveness that has typically been seen in the UK over recent years.

According to PHE for Anglia and Essex, the amount of flu cases in Cambridgeshire has seen a spike in January with more people going to their GP.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cam...le-faith-NHS/story-26023242-detail/story.html

Following a conversation several years ago with a GP at a party in which he stated "There is no way anybody is putting that poison into my system"., I have declined the flu jab. If it isnt good enough for Dr M it isnt good enough for me. i have read nothing to make me change my mind.

I've had it every year since diagnosis. It might not stop the flu if I get the wrong bug, but having been through a bad illness with diabetes I try to do everything to reduce the risk of having to go through it again (I didn't just feel like I was dying, I felt like I wanted to :(). A personal decision, for sure.

Following a conversation several years ago with a GP at a party in which he stated "There is no way anybody is putting that poison into my system"., I have declined the flu jab. If it isnt good enough for Dr M it isnt good enough for me. i have read nothing to make me change my mind.

Agree 100% with this 🙂

It's like insurance isn't it, you don't really want it but you might need it one day so because of that you don't really want to be without it, and then if you DO need it it might not help you!

I never bothered with the flu jab at all and have never had flu either. I get it for my daughter since she was dx, if it saves her from one serious illness then it will be worth it (not that I'll ever know though, i suppose). My grandmother is in her 90s, therefore high risk also, but can't have the flu jab because they grow it n egg protein and she's allergic to eggs :(. She's never had flu either as far as I know!

So maybe it is all a fuss about nothing, I'll still get it for daughter though because despite what I've just written it feels as if I'm being a bad parent somehow if I don't...

Sally there is an egg free vaccination if your Gran does want the cover 🙂

Sally there is an egg free vaccination if your Gran does want the cover 🙂

Oh thanks Sue, I suspect though at her age she'll say "well I've never had it before so why should I start now!"

My grandparents had flu jab for many years. Then, one year, they decided not to have jabs any more. If one got it, the other wanted flu, too, as they expected it to finish them off. As it happened, grandad died of a stroke in his late 80s. and grandma lived another 5 years without him, before dying in her early 90s of a pulmonary embolism after a week of being less active than usual, due to a cold. Decision should always be individual and informed, including consideration of what it means for person themselves, family, friends and society in general.

I've had flu. The one year I decided I wouldn't bother with a jab.

Someone once said about flu that even your hair hurts. It's true and if you had the energy you'd just cry but you don't.

I was off work for 3 weeks.

I have had flu once. I hate it when people talk about having a wee dose of the flu while going about their daily lives. It knocks you off your feet totally. Still not getting the jab though. As previous posters have stated. It's a personal choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back