Calling all diabetics....

Status
Not open for further replies.

joanne hogan

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4225676/Diabetes-patch-ends-pain-finger-prick-tests.html

Calling all diabetics in the UK: Abott Diabetic Care make this amazing scanner: FREESTYLE LIBRE which scans your blood sugar from a sensor stuck on your arm(totally painless) using a wee meter about the size of a small mobile phone. It really is life changing if you struggle with testing regularly and having constant good control. It currently costs around £96 a month for these white round sensors you stick on your arm. Starter pack cost me £138 but sensors only last 14 days, so £96 a month to run.

ABOTT are currently in negotiations with NHS. The more evidence they have the better chance it will be released sooner.

Please PLEASE LIKE this new page and SHARE on any diabetic forums you use:
https://www.facebook.com/Abott-Diab...style-Libre-released-on-NHS-1293692517377900/

It really is life changing and makes me test so much more whilst on the go, out and about. Please support the page even if you use a pump and cgm. This Freestyle LIBRE is CGM on the go. When you scan it shows you your blood glucose pathway since your last time you scanned, up or down. It reads overnight. The next thing they need to develop is the alarm which goes off when you are going up or down.

PLEASE GO TO FACEBOOK PAGE AND LIKE AND SHARE: https://www.facebook.com/Abott-Diab...style-Libre-released-on-NHS-1293692517377900/

Hi Joanne, welcome to the forum 🙂 A lot of us are already well aware of the Libre - many members have been using them since they first appeared 🙂

I'm using one right now 🙂 I only stared using it a couple of days ago and am learning such a lot from it.

Hi Joanne

Welcome to the forum.

It's nice to see your enthusiasm for the Freestyle Libre. I've been a user off and on since 2014.

You might like this discussion regarding CGM funding: https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/board...able-for-cgms-at-all.64946/page-3#post-684562

On the whole I have to say I'm not all that keen on petitions for Libre funding. It's great that they show interest, but actually the last thing we want is to push any product through the official approval process before the manufacturer has good research data to back it up (and those trials are expensive and take a long time). If something like Libre gets assessed when only weak evidence is available - and gets turned down... then it will be even longer before it can be re-assessed, whether a brilliant and compelling study has been published in the meantime or not.

Hi Joanne, welcome to the forum 🙂 A lot of us are already well aware of the Libre - many members have been using them since they first appeared 🙂

That's great. I wasn't so keen as I didn't understand how it worked and until I bought it didnt realise that it read whilst wearing then updated the scanner when you scan - they are so close to having a watch that alarms when your readings rise and fall, surely simply a tech issue, but the nuts and bolts of the tech is there, bluetoothed continuous readings - once we have a wearable watch that alerts on rises and drops we have almost a makeshift pancreas that doesn't exactly inject for us, but alerts us to do so, which we would at the beep - we certainly pay attention when we get a text beep or phone beep - a actually USEFUL wearable tech that saves your nervous system, liver and organs?? Why the HELL has it taken them so long??? If this meter has been out since 2014, its about time the tech moved with the times and EVERY diabetic knows about it?? Please LIKE page, it may work to proving its worth https://www.facebook.com/Abott-Diab...0/?notif_t=page_fan&notif_id=1487240193886268 I made another page addressed to Novo Nordisk, at the time before ECHO pens were released in the UK, many on this forum said they had written to NOVO Nordisk and noone received any indication of release of the ECHO pens, the page gathered momentum and then they became released on the NHS... I believe facebook works from that experience and others. We can but try......

Joanne - for your 'watch' idea you may want to look into Dexcom and Nightscout. I think you might like it :D

yeah, this seems to do same as freestyle but it doesn't have the alert function,and I don't and never will own an apple watch, does the nights out have the alerts function?? That is what id really like the idea of. A watch which reads from a permanently attached sensor, that you sync with settings via an app on your pc, like my tomtom watch, so it goes off and beeps when you are going over or under-that would be awesome!

I am confused @joanne hogan

To explain: Dexcom is a full CGM with a transmitter that sends glucose values to either a handset or Animas pump. These DO give audible alerts if glucose levels are rising or falling fast or reach preset high or low values.

Nightscout allows you to send glucose values to the cloud so that they can be viewed e.g. by family (parents of a child with diabetes) or downloaded to a smart watch (there are many options not just iWatch). The watch can be set to give audible or vibrate alerts.

Libre is a flash glucose monitor - although it collects data continually it is *not* a full CGM. It cannot alert you to glucose values unless you scan the sensor. So for example, you can drop into hypoglycaemia overnight but the Libre cannot tell you until you scan in the morning.

Have I misread? You seem to think they are the other way around?

perhaps I have, apologies! I don't use a pump and I don't own a smart watch. The idea of alerts to my phone is ok but I don't have android or iPhone so I'm not sure if the app is available for windows. Alerts to my phone would be helpful but, as I try to keep my phone away from me, it is not permanently attached to my hand (I am a weirdo?) I would prefer a purpose built 'just a watch' not a smart watch but with alerts to my blood sugar, then it wouldn't need charged like a smart phone. I have a tomtom watch and as a watch, it needs to be charged regularly. I am still hoping for the 'panic room' watch! Have you seen that? That's when I have been waiting since!

hi mike,
so I just had lengthy q and a with dexcom. So it cost £52 per 7 day sensor, (14 days unofficial reported usage time but not recommended by dexcom), and £200 per 3 month transmitter attached to sensor. Plus the 'compatible with their app' phone and smartwatch totalling nearly £11,500 £11,000 yearly. I politely reasoned with her the implausibility of this cost for me or indeed anyone, wealthy or not, this total coat almost my yearly part time salary! But I am interested in this nightscout app which may work with the libre and phone and android watch, I think I remember chationg to you once before when I was finding out about novopen echo, I will continue to campaign for NHS funding for the libre sensor. Do you use the libre?

G4 transmitter lasts longer (12 months+?) and its sensors last at least as long as Libre and can be stretched longer. Some Dexcom users suggest they can use the G4 for less money than Libre. It all depends which system you prefer, whether you want alarms and what suits you I think.

Do you use the libre?

It's nice to see your enthusiasm for the Freestyle Libre. I've been a user off and on since 2014.

😉

ah, she said transmitters for G5 only last three months, and the G4 doesnt send to phones or watches only to a receiver

ah, she said transmitters for G5 only last three months, and the G4 doesnt send to phones or watches only to a receiver

DEXCOM's own system for sending to phones is the G5. Unsurprisingly that's what they tried to sell you when you called them.

Nightscout got there first. Dexcom G4 can be sent to a smartwatch via Nightscout.

Did you read those links I posted earlier? Alternatively, try this: http://www.nightscout.info/wiki/welcome/basic-requirements/nightscout-near-you-uk

yes am investigating, so what you're saying is G4 sends to phone and watch via Nightscout?? She said that G4 didnt do that, and that the G5 thing is that other people can log in to your blood 'news' which isnt really a necessary for me. So I can get a G4, get Nightscout on a phone and a watch that works with phone??

ok so the g4 seems a very expensive option as well so the nightscout with the libre is the only option at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back