Call to banish fruit juice from recommended five a day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Fruit juice should be removed from the recommended list of healthy things to eat daily because it is confusing for parents, say campaigners.

Action on Sugar found many children's juices contain at least six teaspoons of sugar - more than cola - and come in cartons larger than recommended.

Official advice currently says a 150ml glass of unsweetened fruit juice counts towards your five a day.

Other juice drinks, such as squash and sweetened juice, do not.

A smoothie containing all the edible pulped fruit or vegetable may count as more than one five-a-day portion, but this depends on the quantity of fruits or vegetables or juice used, as well as how the smoothie has been made.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29986012

They don't mention the spike in blood sugar levels that fruit juice can cause. OK, a healthy pancreas can cope with it, but it is still placing an unnecessary stress on the system.

Last edited:
This was on Tv this morning. I drink pure lemon juice to keep the colds away 😱 When my son was about 3 he used to get the lemon out of his drink & just eat it. No face expressions 😱 Most kids would have ran a mile

This was on Tv this morning. I drink pure lemon juice to keep the colds away 😱 When my son was about 3 he used to get the lemon out of his drink & just eat it. No face expressions 😱 Most kids would have ran a mile

My son does this too Hobie - from a really young age he's enjoyed chewing the lemon slices, and if there's a lemon to squeeze over fish or pancakes, he'll get a teaspoon and just drink the juice - makes me wince just thinking about it! 🙂

I used to buy Jif lemons and squirt it under my tongue! Makes you shudder, but very tasty and wakes you up! 😱 :D

There are so many parents that believe in the idea of "healthy" fruit juice. When out in restaurants, the drinks are served first, and the kids get a quick sugar rush from the juice and then refuse to eat their food!

There are so many parents that believe in the idea of "healthy" fruit juice. When out in restaurants, the drinks are served first, and the kids get a quick sugar rush from the juice and then refuse to eat their food!

I used to believe it too, prior to diagnosis. I even believed the myth that smoothies are healthy - have you ever looked at the cab/sugar content of those so-called 'innocent' smoothies? 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back