Calibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwampyWilson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’ve just checked my BG with finger prick and got a reading of 5.9 been awake for an hour and have hypo unawareness from being so high for so long.
I’ve checked again and it’s 8.9, but I’m shaking.

how do I calibrate my machine? Thanks in advance.

Sorry I'm not quite sure I understand

Hypo unawareness is generally caused by spending a lot of time at the lower end of "normal" not by spending time high and in cases of hypo unawareness it is suggested people try running their levels a bit higher to try and regain awareness

If you've spent a lot of time high then it's more likely you are experiencing false hypo's which occur when your levels are normal or lower than what it's been used to

As for meter, what are you using? Do you have control solution to check it? xx

Sorry to hear about your shakiness @SwampyWilson

Do you mean that you have the symptoms of a hypo, and are worried that your BG meter isn’t giving you reliable results?

As @Kaylz says, you should have (or be able to get) control solution which checks that your meter is working properly.

Are your strips still in date? Do you have another pot you can use? Or another BG meter?

Hope the symptoms subside soon. Might be worth calling 111 if not, as it may be unrelated to your BG levels?

In the absence of a control solution, I have been known to use a "control body" when my meter does not report the readings I expect despite washing my hands thoroughly.
My non-diabetic boyfriend provides quite a good "control body" as his levels are always in the 5s unless he has just finished a tough workout.

Thank you.

My sugars have been high for so long that a reading of 5.9 felt like a hypo (which I’ve been taught as being hypo unawareness but false hypo makes more sense). When I checked again because I was shaking it was 8.9 which is why I wondered about calibration.

I will order some solution and see how I get on.

Thank you.

My sugars have been high for so long that a reading of 5.9 felt like a hypo (which I’ve been taught as being hypo unawareness but false hypo makes more sense). When I checked again because I was shaking it was 8.9 which is why I wondered about calibration.

I will order some solution and see how I get on.
Hypo unawareness is when you are hypo but you don't experience any symptoms with it so no shaking, sweating etc xx

In the absence of a control solution, I have been known to use a "control body" when my meter does not report the readings I expect despite washing my hands thoroughly.
My non-diabetic boyfriend provides quite a good "control body" as his levels are always in the 5s unless he has just finished a tough workout.
I have never thought of doing that. Thanks @helli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back