Cake and diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirls

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I joined yesterday because my partner is newly diagnosed, i'm in charge of the cooking etc. I'm used to making a fruit cake which keeps through the week but figure although it was fat free the mixture of 300g of dried fruit and 150g sugar will not now be suitable. I want an alternative and have found one I think? in a low GI book. It has wholemeal flour, olive oil, walnuts, 100g raisins, 300g apple, 150g carrot, 2 eggs and a little orange juice in it but makes 16 slices.

Would this sort of thing be okay?

Thanks, this is all very confusing.

Shirl

Hi all, I joined yesterday because my partner is newly diagnosed, i'm in charge of the cooking etc. I'm used to making a fruit cake which keeps through the week but figure although it was fat free the mixture of 300g of dried fruit and 150g sugar will not now be suitable. I want an alternative and have found one I think? in a low GI book. It has wholemeal flour, olive oil, walnuts, 100g raisins, 300g apple, 150g carrot, 2 eggs and a little orange juice in it but makes 16 slices.

Would this sort of thing be okay?

Thanks, this is all very confusing.

Shirl
yummy the cake sounds really lovely. Quite new to this myself so probably not the best person to advise you. My OH has made me two cakes now, both no sugar and low fat and I tested myself before and after and they had virtually no effect on me at all🙂 as we are all different I would advise testing anything new like that. I have asked him only to make the cakes on special occasions as I do need to lose weight.

As part of a heslthy diet, there is room for home made cake. Since you made it you know what's in it and if hubby is carb counting, you will ba able to take it into account when preparing meals.

Although we need to minimise the ammount of sugar we have and keep control of the carbs, we also need a treat too, and your cake sounds a yummy treat.

Also welcome to the forums, please feel free to ask as many questions as you like, someone is sure to have an asnwer.

Hi Caroline
This cake is actually more calories than the one I was making but has less added sugar, to be honest, I don't know which is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back