Caffeine Addict

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy HB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Grrrrrr!

Having an HbA1c test tomorrow at 09:00am and have to fast for 14 hours, drinking only water.

No bed time coffee and no early morning coffee! What am I going to do? 😱

Andy 🙂

Don't quite see why you should avoid coffee!, A1c test measures last 3 months glucose. Fasting test should be for cholesterol and even that is thought not to be required these days.

Have a coffee (no sugar or milk though!). Good luck:D

They're testing all sorts of other things at the same time (don't have the list to hand!). I presume that they don't want a stimulant in my blood too.

Andy 🙂

We are tea pots in out house, when we asked the nurse she said tea with no milk or suagr was fine, even for non diabetic hubby. Not sure if it applies to coffee. I know you don't get the same caffine hit from black tea, but it is better than nothing.

Andy - a bit late now, but best way to deal with fasting 14 hours is to sleep as much of it as possible. Hope all goes well - and you'll enjoy your post-test coffee all the more. As you realise, no caffeine means no tea or coffee or chocolate, unless they are decaffeinated varieties, with no milk nor sugar.

Just wanted to say good luck and I hope the hbA king will be doing hsi own guess the hbA1c lol.

I'll have to ask them why. The letter was quite adamant! Absolutely nothing but water (and I can last, really I can, it isn't a problem, I can stop drinking caffeine any time I want to ......)

Here's the list of things being tested -->
Full Blood Count
HbA1c
Renal & Electrolytes
Liver Profile
Fasting Lipid Profile
Thyroid
U.Albumin
Creatinine Ratio (ACR)
Fasting Glucose

Is there anything else they are missing that should be tested?! :D

Andy

Just wanted to say good luck and I hope the hbA king will be doing hsi own guess the hbA1c lol.

Thanks Steff.

I'm not sure whether I want it to be lower than 6.2 or higher.

If it is lower, then I might take that as a green light to continue my recent overly relaxed dietry attitude (I've been indulging in too many 'nice' things!).

If it is higher, then I'd be upset about my recent overly relaxed dietry attitude and start comfort eating! :D

Andy

p.s. In reality, either way, I'm keen to get down to my target weight and so will do what is required. That will naturally take care of my HbA1c.

p.p.s. Care to guess the number?

Andy - a bit late now, but best way to deal with fasting 14 hours is to sleep as much of it as possible. Hope all goes well - and you'll enjoy your post-test coffee all the more. As you realise, no caffeine means no tea or coffee or chocolate, unless they are decaffeinated varieties, with no milk nor sugar.

Actually, I popped off to bed quite early for that very reason!

I'm now enjoying a nice cup of freshly brewed coffee .... ahhhhh!

Unfortunately I won't know my results for a fortnight because I'm off dog-sitting (a "nice but dim" black cocker spaniel) for my brother and sister-in-law in Wigan next week. Granted, I could ring up, but am happy to wait.

Andy 🙂

After posting at 12.21am?!? Doesn't sound like an early night to me!

i thought it was nothing to eat or drink from 10pm if its a morning test. some nurses have even told me midnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back