C peptide test results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Resort

Hi,

Can someone help me to interpret my test results please?

C peptide is 1105

I don't know the levels of this result as I wasn't told. Does it mean I am type 2?

Can you cut and paste the number as it is in the results including whether it’s ng/mL or nmol/L?

Generally though, if it’s high you’re more likely type 2, if low then T1.

What else has been going on that you had the test done?

Oh and welcome to the forum!

Was that a urine test or a blood C-peptide test and if urine, did you follow the guidance regards eating and the timing of that food before testing?
Unfortunately the urine tests are not as reliable as a diagnostic tool as blood, especially if the patient prep advice before sampling is not followed (or often not given to the patient). The blood test however is logistically more difficult because the sample needs to be frozen within 20 mins of being drawn and then sent off to the lab in that frozen state and most local blood courier services do not have that facility. I believe the urine test may also be cheaper.

It is also important to look at the C-peptide result in conjunction with a GAD in order to make a diagnosis and ideally that should be done by an experienced consultant as each test on it's own can be ambiguous but the two together will give a better picture. The situation is further complicated by more mature people who develop Type 1 having a slower onset with their pancreas working in fits and starts as it splutters to a halt with insulin production, so output can be quite variable and may be normalish one day, particularly if people have swapped to a low carb diet recently and given their beta cells a stress break, which often reinvigorates them short term. That is my lay person's take on the situation anyway....

I had the blood C-pep test (had to go through to the general hospital to have the sample taken) and the result came back as borderline but I was following a very low carb way of eating which may have impacted the result. My GAD came back positive and confirmed the Type 1 diagnosis, but I think the fact that the C-pep was borderline points to Type 1 as Type 2 diabetics often produce increased levels of insulin to overcome resistance.

There is a chart here of what sort of results would be expected
But they don't really seem to correlate to the figures you’ve given above, which makes me wonder what units were used for your test. I’m also a bit confused, because you quote a fasting level, but then say yours weren’t done fasting, so are the figures you have quoted your actual results?

New
Hi,

Fasting levels are 260-1270
After meal levels are 3000-9000

It was blood test and mine blood test wasn't done fasting.
With any results the units are important for the interpretation so you should ask if they didn't tell you otherwise it is hard for people to comment.

Was it your Dr who commissioned the test @Last Resort ?

Hopefully you can book a follow-up appointment to discuss the results and plan a way forward

There is a chart here of what sort of results would be expected
But they don't really seem to correlate to the figures you’ve given above, which makes me wonder what units were used for your test. I’m also a bit confused, because you quote a fasting level, but then say yours weren’t done fasting, so are the figures you have quoted your actual results?
Hi, Can someone help me to interpret my test results please?
C peptide is 1105
I don't know the levels of this result as I wasn't told. Does it mean I am type 2?
Robin's link gives a good indication.
Non-fasting C Peptide 1105 (Assuming pmol/L)

C pep Capture-png.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back