c-peptide test necessary before the offer of a pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heasandford

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Please excuse this if there are already answers available!

I have just picked up threads which indicate that a 'proper' diagnosis has to be given if a pump is recommended.

My new consultant has suggested she will be looking at a pump for me. What she may not have realised is that I was diagnosed at 48, although the consultant I then had put me on insulin fairly rapidly - although not instantly, one of his staff had me on diet only for about a month or so, getting readings of 25-29 most of the time, and I didn't know any better then.

So will I have a c-peptide test? Or what? I may have some insulin resistance, although I have around 32 units of insulin daily (depending what I eat) Someone once said diabetes could be a 'spectrum' illness. Will I be refused a pump?

I would imagine if your consultant has recommended it then that's all you need to worry about.🙂

Did she say on what basis ?

Rob

I certainly wouldn't raise the subject, don't put em off!

I've no idea whether it's automatic in some places, would have thought they'd only do it if there possibly could be any doubt? (because it's expensive) I mean I'd quite like to know what mine is (or isn't) but having been treated successfully for the best part of 40 years on only insulin and nowt else, I don't think anyone would have any doubt about my type! Even though I was an elderly 22 when DX.

Robster - I think on the basis that in order to get 'good' HbA1c results I get too many hypos, and when I try to stop the hypos my HbA1c results go up. Presumably that would happen with any kind of diabetes?

I went to the INPUT exhibition in Luton and saw various different pumps and got quite excited about the ones you can send messages to by radio waves (?) I particularly liked the new Cellnovo one, very small, and they're testing them in 10 centres in the UK, one of which is Bournemoth, near me, I'm keeping fingers crossed!

Nah, you won't be getting a c-peptide test, if your consultant has said you'll T1 then you'll T1! Even LADA's who require full insulin support will be treated under T1's...

As to your second question concerning your HbA1c...

Go one way too many hypo's avoid hypo's HbA1c's go up..

This is down to limitations of a insulin delivery system (which is basically what a syringe, pen or pump is just a way to deliver insulin into the body)

Syringes and pens, are limited to dealing with whole units (1/2 units are very rare to find) and one flow rate, can only deliver the whole dose in one go..

The outcome of this, is you either inject too much, too little or unable to match adsorption profile correctly..

Pumps are different, they can deliver a minute amount over a period of time, so you can deliver the right amount in the right flow rate to maintain control..

So you can avoid the over and under dosing etc that syringes and pens cause due to their limitations of deliver...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back