C Peptide levels

Duncan23

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi
I’ve been on insulin for a few months now for Type 1. I had a c peptide test a few months ago and the results were 121. I don’t understand what this means. I’ve not managed to see a diabetes consultant at all yet. The diabetes nurse I have seen is vague about this result. This is to test how much insulin I’m still producing naturally- but I’ve got no idea if my results are good or bad. Somebody on the forum mentioned a honeymoon period, is that the period where you still produce some insulin naturally?

Yes, the honeymoon period is soon after diagnosis and refers to your own insulin production. Sometimes starting insulin injections and lowering blood sugar can give your remaining beta cells a temporary boost so that they make small amounts of insulin. Gradually this declines and the honeymoon period ends.

There’s information about C Peptide levels here:

Thank you. Looking at the chart, that puts me in the intermediate category- or severely deficient depending on the type of test. I don’t remember having to fast for the test, but I can check that.

Thank you. Looking at the chart, that puts me in the intermediate category- or severely deficient depending on the type of test. I don’t remember having to fast for the test, but I can check that.

Can you remember the time of day? And what/when you had previously eaten?

Typically T2 might be expected to have higher cPeptide in the early years as insulin resistance / inability to use home-grown insulin properly is often part of the initial T2 presentation.

I had the test mid morning, but had had my breakfast. The nurse said it didn’t matter either way- but now i see that it does make a difference. I was only diagnosed type 1 in January, after around a year of being treated for type 2 with Metformin, etc. The reason that I’m curious about the c peptide result is to try to work out how long I have actually had type 1 for. It may have been developing for some time before I noticed dramatic symptoms in Dec 2022.
I’ve never had any feedback about what the results mean. I may have to wait several months to see a consultant.
Maybe I should ask to be retested.

Back