Byetta question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

asathorny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have been on Byetta now for over a year and last week went to see the diabolical nurse, she asked me how long I had been on Byetta and I said 'over a year...' to which she replied. Perhaps you need to see the doctor because it might be time to come off Byetta.

I can find nothing anywhere on the internet that suggests that this drug is time limited.

Does anyone here use this drug and can anyone shed any light on this time limited notion for me...

Thanks in advance

Asa

😱

Hi Asa, I haven't heard anyone here mention any kind of time limit or using Byetta, and I know of at least one member who was on it for well over two years and possibly longer (haven't seen them post for a while). There were some concerns at one time that there was a possible risk of pancreatic cancer, but this was shown to be erroneous research:

http://diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=39313

I would ask what the nurse is basing her ideas on.

Well doesn't it depend, just like any other treatment for any condition - on whether it's actually helping you? Does it help you and if so, does it help you as much as it did ?

Perhaps she's thinking perhaps that some more recent drug might help more - or the same but cheaper?

I have no idea!

Hi. Are you also on a low-carb diet which should also help a lot? Apologies if you are already doing that.

I was on Byetta for just under 5 years. There was no time limit specified but a couple of times I was told that if it ever stopped being really effective then it would be insulin for me as byetta is a LOT more expensive.

I am now on insulin as byetta wasnt allowing me good enough control in the end, but over the first four years of using did help to enable me to lose about 4 stone and get on the right path (with better eating and taking up running - it aint a mircale drug!), but as time goes on my pancreas seems to be weakening so am now on insulin.

Cheers for now,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back