Byetta pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucy123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

How do you know when the Byetta pen has ran out?
I cant actually see any liquid in the pen, but I know it must be there, as I get the sicky feeling every time I inject at the moment.
Is it when the plunger gets to the bottom?

Upping my dosage to 10mcg in evening from tonight!😱

Don't you need to do an 'air shot' of a small amount to test the needle before injecting with Byetta? With insulin pens (well, the ones I use!) you can see quite clearly how much is left and the plunger wouldn't work if you tried to inject more than there was in the cartridge.

There's a video here that might tell you if you are doing anything wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g7fxMnUrOw

Don't you need to do an 'air shot' of a small amount to test the needle before injecting with Byetta? With insulin pens (well, the ones I use!) you can see quite clearly how much is left and the plunger wouldn't work if you tried to inject more than there was in the cartridge.

There's a video here that might tell you if you are doing anything wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g7fxMnUrOw

You only do a test squirt when first use it.
It just looks like a clear tube - I cant see the liquid, but I know its working. I just wondered if I only knew when the pen doesn't work anymore.

Can you actually see the insulin in your pen - can you see it moving about?

Saying that my eyesight isn't brilliant - maybe I will get someone else to have a look.🙂

With the insulin pens the bung at the bottom of the cartridge gets pushed further to the top each time you inject, so you can see when it has reached the end.

From watching that video, I don't think you would be able to dial up your dose if it has run out.

With the insulin pens the bung at the bottom of the cartridge gets pushed further to the top each time you inject, so you can see when it has reached the end.

From watching that video, I don't think you would be able to dial up your dose if it has run out.

I think thats the same with the Byetta pen - so you dont see liquid moving - just the bunger moving nearer to the needle end - is that right>

I think thats the same with the Byetta pen - so you dont see liquid moving - just the bunger moving nearer to the needle end - is that right>

Hi Lucy, you can do a few test shots just to check. In my pens there is always some left after 30 days when you must stop using it, so you have enough for a couple of wasted shots. As you said the bung thingy moves along as you use it up and the liquid is very clear, however I usually have a few airbubbles in there but I'm told they don't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back