Byetta (Exanatide)

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanbr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I would be interested to hear from anyone who is injecting Byetta. I am struggling with the side effects and wonder if they ever go away?

Didn't do me any good at all, though the side effects did wear off after about a month. There are a few others on here who use it though. There are also quite a few who have been moved to other options such as Victoza because it didn't work for them.

How long have you been on it?

Hi I was on Byetta now moved onto Victoza, I could handle the side effects but it didn't help much with weight loss, the side effects did ease for me within a month

Byetta

Hi Alison

I've been off and on it for about a month, started in earnest again this week but the same thing as makes me stop taking it is happening again. The first injection in the morning makes me feel queasy all day then the second injection before dinner actually makes me throw up and I put up with that for a couple of days and then stop taking it again - its a never ending circle because then when I go back to it, its like starting from scratch again

Hi Alison

I've been off and on it for about a month, started in earnest again this week but the same thing as makes me stop taking it is happening again. The first injection in the morning makes me feel queasy all day then the second injection before dinner actually makes me throw up and I put up with that for a couple of days and then stop taking it again - its a never ending circle because then when I go back to it, its like starting from scratch again

It might be worth asking about Victoza if you really can't tolerate the Byetta, quite a few people have found it is better for them. I believe Victoza is just one jab a day also. I don't think there is much difference in cost to the NHS.

If you want to stick with the Byetta, you might pick up some tips from a (long!) discussion we had some time ago:

http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=9445

It may also be worth asking your doctor/DSN for an anti-nausea pill to counteract the side effects.

Only just noticed this. I have been on Byetta for 3 years. I lost a couple of stone fairly fast and my Hba1c came down from 10 to around 6 and has stayed there ever since. Nausea lasted for a few months but don't get any trouble with it now. I found ginger tea helped a lot with nausea and ginger biscuits.

Byetta made me very ill, with nausea and considerable chest pain. ( I have heart problems) I had to come off it after a week as the side effects were getting worse by the day. I am seeing my DSN next week and expect to be put onto insulin as I have been through most of the other meds over the last few years.

As others have said, you could try victoza, it may have less side effects.

Hope you feel better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back