Burnout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jo121

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all
Not been on for a while as I was learning to live with type 2. After an initial shock diagnosis, 4 stone weight loss and complete lifestyle overhaul in 2021 I felt I had this nailed down. My metformin was dropped to one a day and there was talk of coming off it all together. That was 7 months ago. Since then old habits slipped back in. I'm eating far too many takeaways, far too many cakes, biscuits etc, white bread- basically everything we should have in moderation and im binge eating. Its like I am just totally burnt out and dont care at all. I keep saying I'll start again on Monday and spend the weekend binging but then by lunch on Monday I'm reaching for the biscuits. I'm still exercising but even then my steps are dropping and I'm making excuses not to get them in. There's always an occasion that's an excuse for bad food.

I'm feeling so down but can't shake myself out of it. When I do have a good day I'm starving and shaky so give in and binge. I'm testing occasionally but even high readings don't bother me because I'll get the odd ok one scattered in so I convince myself I'm OK. I'm so mad at myself as I've been so good for so long. I nearly ended up with an eating disorder after diagnosis as I literally didn't eat but with counselling I came out of that and found balance but now I've totally lost it.

How do I get back on track?

Sorry to hear you’re struggling @Jo121 I know others here have too, so you’re not alone. It’s hard having to focus on food so much.

I suggest you start with some tiny changes so that you have a better chance of sticking to them.

Sorry to hear that things have slipped back but I agree with @Inka - to start to turn things around begin with small steps. You've done it before, you can do it again. Start tomorrow?

Hi all
Not been on for a while as I was learning to live with type 2. After an initial shock diagnosis, 4 stone weight loss and complete lifestyle overhaul in 2021 I felt I had this nailed down. My metformin was dropped to one a day and there was talk of coming off it all together. That was 7 months ago. Since then old habits slipped back in. I'm eating far too many takeaways, far too many cakes, biscuits etc, white bread- basically everything we should have in moderation and im binge eating. Its like I am just totally burnt out and dont care at all. I keep saying I'll start again on Monday and spend the weekend binging but then by lunch on Monday I'm reaching for the biscuits. I'm still exercising but even then my steps are dropping and I'm making excuses not to get them in. There's always an occasion that's an excuse for bad food.

I'm feeling so down but can't shake myself out of it. When I do have a good day I'm starving and shaky so give in and binge. I'm testing occasionally but even high readings don't bother me because I'll get the odd ok one scattered in so I convince myself I'm OK. I'm so mad at myself as I've been so good for so long. I nearly ended up with an eating disorder after diagnosis as I literally didn't eat but with counselling I came out of that and found balance but now I've totally lost it.

How do I get back on track?
It is worrying that you say cakes, biscuits, white bread is something that should be had in moderation when really those food should be off the menu.
I don't know if you have children but what focused my mind was that I did not want them to have to become my carers if I didn't not get to grips with managing my diabetes so It was crucial to find an approach that I enjoyed and would be sustainable for life.
I found that by following the principals in this link, I didn't follow the meal plans per say but there are plans to suit various tastes and budgets. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Maybe a new approach is what you need to get back on track.

It may be better overall in your particular case to live happily for a good while eating whatever you like, and accept diabetic complications later on as the price - but you may not have to pay any such price if something else finishes you first. There’s certainly no joy to be had in torturing yourself about diet issues and spending years yo-yoing. Either do without the cake or enjoy it guiltlessly!

It may be better overall in your particular case to live happily for a good while eating whatever you like, and accept diabetic complications later on as the price
That's easy for us 70-somethings living out our twilight years to say but Jo is 42 and has decades for life-changing diabetic complications to develop.

That's easy for us 70-somethings living out our twilight years to say but Jo is 42 and has decades for life-changing diabetic complications to develop.
Absolutely so, timespans are bound to be part of the calculus for weighing up one’s options, so many years of enjoying freedom from complications versus so many years of enjoying the cakes.

Sorry to hear you are finding things so difficult @Jo121

But others are right - burnout is not an uncommon experience, and you are not alone. Help is available, and things can get better.

How are other things in your life? Are you under pressure and stress elsewhere, that make managing your diabetes ‘one thing too much’? How is your mental health and mood? How are you feeling about yourself? High glucose levels and diabetes can associate with low mood and even clinical depression, so it’s important to look after your whole self.

Low mood and depression can make lots of things so much harder, and low self esteem can make positive self care so much harder (disordered eating, wanting to escape, feelings of denial, even ‘punishing’ yourself, or recklessness).

But none of these feelings, if you are experiencing them, are your fault. And there are sources of help available if you think you are affected.

How did you feel when you had lost the weight, and had your diabetes management ‘nailed down’? Were you enjoying your meals? Did you feel generally full and satisfied? Or was it a constant daily battle? And ongoing feelings of self-denial?

Hang in there, we are rooting for you 🙂

Absolutely so, timespans are bound to be part of the calculus for weighing up one’s options, so many years of enjoying freedom from complications versus so many years of enjoying the cakes.
For me, freedom from complications wins hands down.

For me, freedom from complications wins hands down.
And for me too, but I think caution is appropriate before urging the same decision upon others, as I have T2 friends who have been really wretched for years in trying but failing to sustain dietary disciplines.

And for me too, but I think caution is appropriate before urging the same decision upon others, as I have T2 friends who have been really wretched for years in trying but failing to sustain dietary disciplines.
And maybe those people should be offered insulin, so that at least they can reduce the risk of complications. Insulin is not an easy route and comes with it's own set of issues.

And maybe those people should be offered insulin, so that at least they can reduce the risk of complications. Insulin is not an easy route and comes with it's own set of issues.
Very true, real dilemmas in such cases. I do not know what the best course of action is with those who cannot after endless attempts and counsellings get to grips with eating habits. Some problems have no easy solutions, or even hard ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back