Burnout - how to get out of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,
I’ve been diabetic (type 1) for almost 24 years now and I’ve had real ups and downs with it. Perhaps it’s just the stage in life I’m at (I’m 34, a teacher with a five-year-old), but I’m really struggling mentally at the moment.

It’s just a massive resentment of this additional full time job I have managing my blood sugars twenty-four seven and I don’t know how to get out the slump. Talking with doctors hasn’t helped as they say what I should be doing and how it should be working but in reality none of them live with the condition day-in day-out and as much as my OH tries, he doesn’t know what it’s really like either. Just fed up of everything.

Suggestions on how to move forwards would be much appreciated.

Welcome @NikkiB Burnout is a real *insert rude word of your choice* I suffered it a while ago, and it’s come back (because of blood sugar issues and work stress). There’s no magic cure sadly, but I found lowering my expectations helped. I relaxed my control ever so slightly, and that relieves some of the pressure. A small change but a big effect. I also chose easy meal options where I knew the carbs so there was no counting or worry. I took one day at a time; made sure to not dwell on ‘bad’ results; and reminded myself that I’m not alone ( this forum is great for that).

Sorting out the Type 1 and looking after young children is hard. I don’t think people appreciate just how hard it is. I think it’s because you have to give up an element of control, and that can make you stressed. As an example, I sometimes plan the morning, eat/inject according, and then one of my children will refuse to go on the walk I’d planned for, or there’ll be some other frustrating change that messes with my blood sugar. I also hugely resent the fact that the damn diabetes is in my head every minute of the day and night. Its draining, and it distracts from more important things eg your children.

So, know you’re not alone; relax your control a little for now; and remember that every week that passes brings us closer to a cure. There have been some very interesting developments recently. Keep on going, one day at a time. Don’t let it get to you.

Talking with doctors hasn’t helped as they say what I should be doing and how it should be working
Make sure they understand that you're having problems and need help. There's an increasing recognition of the mental burden of managing the condition and there should be some kind of counselling available from your team.

If you don't have a CGM ask for one. If you're using a pump, explore (with your team) whether you could loop it (with a CGM), since that's pretty clearly the short/medium term solution for reducing this burden we all have: it automates at least some of the decisions most of us need to make pretty often through the day. (If you aren't using a pump you might try asking about one, and perhaps your team would support you if they understand the stress you're under and believed that a pump would help. It's also entirely possible that a pump wouldn't be right.)

And if you can't get/don't want a pump, make sure you get the smart reusable pens (presuming the insulin you take is Novo Nordisk). They can show the last dose and how long ago it was taken. Even if you never look (and I almost never do) it's reassuring knowing that if I am ever unsure whether I took that night's basal dose I can easily check.

Please forgive if this sounds trite or patronising. Your life must be pretty much full on, kids are a joy but hard work, and I only have one! I bought mine up by myself since she was 3 and worked in primary schools as well as a nursery, after having to give up my engineering career, memories of those days fading now and I wasn't diagnosed then with Type 2. Even so I in my case I found it useful to allocate 'me' time, when things were tough, burying myself in a hobby or simply going out for a long walk in the forest or by the sea, even for an hour a day. It could even be going to bed early and reading by yourself a favourite book, whatever. Most people don't realise that daily life can sneak up on you and become a treadmill of repetitive routine, anything to break that in doing something different even for a short time can divert ones mind from it and can help. Even now that I am effectively retired and my daughter has just turned 17 the drudgery of being chief cook and bottle washer and wondering what to cook for the evening meal so as not to spike me and please my daughter to name one thing can be a drag, so I say sod it, lock up, put the leathers on and take the bike out for a blast along the lanes, works every time for me. Maybe you could organise with a couple of your friends to have a short break as a treat in a spar hotel or something, I sure your other half will support you on that, then you can have something planned to look forward to!

Hi @NikkiB i am sorry to hear how difficult things are for you at present.
I was diagnosed later in life with T1 but had to manage this along with my teaching, and it was hard work, and then you have a small child to care for too. What you are experiencing is common, but no less serious because of that. Having gone through burnout myself I posted my journey on here. It is different for each of us and different strategies help people in different ways but I hope that something helps.

Don‘t be afraid to talk to your team and also to your line managers at work. You need able to take time out in order to get the help that you nee. I also found that the support on here is phenomenal. Keep in touch. We do ‘get it’

forum.diabetes.org.uk

Successful strategies so far in dealing with depression and Diabetes

I found it tempting to hide away over the last couple of months. After 9 years of Diabetes I finally hit a wall as HbA1c reached the mid 40s and so no longer improved, spinal stenosis gave me numb feet over night, an MRI showing lesions on the brain and I watched my Mum die of Dementia...

You are not alone but there is plenty of help available on here

Sorry to hear you are wrestling with burnout @NikkiB

You are not alone. I think most of us who have lived with diabetes for any length of time have had periods of burnout to work through.

We are here for you. Be kind to yourself. Do what you can, where you are, with what resources you have.

You’ll get through this.

Hi all,
I’ve been diabetic (type 1) for almost 24 years now and I’ve had real ups and downs with it. Perhaps it’s just the stage in life I’m at (I’m 34, a teacher with a five-year-old), but I’m really struggling mentally at the moment.

It’s just a massive resentment of this additional full time job I have managing my blood sugars twenty-four seven and I don’t know how to get out the slump. Talking with doctors hasn’t helped as they say what I should be doing and how it should be working but in reality none of them live with the condition day-in day-out and as much as my OH tries, he doesn’t know what it’s really like either. Just fed up of everything.

Suggestions on how to move forwards would be much appreciated.
Four things come to mind, mostly agreeing with other people!

1) Bruce is right. 'Burnout' from T1D is recognised as a serious problem, and your medical team should be able to provide or point you toward some proper counselling. Be open with them about how much you're struggling, and press them for the help you need. This forum is great, but it's not an either-or; ideally, you'd be getting support here and also proper counselling/therapy.

2) Bruce is also right that you should consider how technology could help, and discuss this with your team too, and press them for any technology that could make things easier. In particular, if you don't already have a 'closed loop system' (or 'hybrid closed loop system')-- a pump that 'talks to' a CGM-- this could, from everything I've heard and read, help a lot, by greatly reducing the burden of managing T1.

The Scottish equivalent of NICE decided earlier this year that 'diabetes distress', including burnout, should be one of the criteria enabling Type 1 diabetics to get a 'closed loop system' on the NHS. So, if you're in Scotland, you're lucky!

But even if you're not in Scotland, all is not lost ... I was only diagnosed recently and very rapidly felt burned out! and felt a closed loop system would help a lot. I have been given to understand that, although the current NICE guidelines don't explicitly take account of mental-health factors, like diabetes distress and burnout, in deciding who gets a pump/closed loop-- they are often taken into account in practice.

3) You may think that, having been T1D for almost 24 years now, you know everything you need to know about managing it; and you may be right! Then again: I've recently started going to my diabetes unit's T1 education sessions (the local equivalent of DAFNE), and have been struck by the fact that several people in the group were diagnosed years ago and still seem to find the sessions helpful. And all of these sorts of courses seem to be offered not only to 'newbies' but to 'old hands' too.

Even if you found you didn't learn any new tips and tricks, you might find it helpful just to spend a few half-days with a group of people who do "live with the condition day-in day-out" and do "know what it's really like".

4) In the meantime, while leaning on your team for help, do whatever you can to make things easier for yourself in practical terms, even little things. For example, Inka's right about how helpful "easy meal options" can be, meals you've had often enough that you know how much insulin you need without having to think about it; I had already started making a little chart of those to put up in my kitchen. You may already do this! But you may be able to think of other things; and small practical improvements can make a real difference.

Anyway, all the best, and let us know how you get on!

Oh my - thank you all. I think there are so many other factors at play too so have booked a general chat with the GP about life and how everything is feeling a bit much at the moment.

The diabetes is an add on that isn’t making anything easier. With so many other things to think about I’m resenting having to think about carb counting, Libre alarms etc etc. I am on the Libre but still on daily injections (Levemir and Humalog) - I think a discussion with my team about a pump is long over due, it may reduce the burden a little. Not going to lie, I have no idea what looping is and so this is something to talk about too I guess. Just find myself wishing for a different life; one without the constant need to be in range and worrying about whether to do/eat that due to the impact on the blood sugars. It’s utterly exhausting!

Will definitely follow some of the advice - some easy-to-count meals for a while sounds like the way forward in the short term.

Thanks again

Not going to lie, I have no idea what looping is and so this is something to talk about too I guess.
The idea's obvious: if you have a pump and a CGM you can connect the two. So when you're going too low your pump can reduce the insulin, and similarly if you're going high it can increase the insulin.

The challenge is to make it work safely and effectively while doing as much as possible automatically. (For years pumps have offered simple and (reasonably) safe features like suspending insulin when you're going low.)

At least one has simplified dosing for meals where (as I understand it) you can just describe a meal as small, medium, or large (rather than having to carb count), and it adjusts its algorithm to be suitably aggressive after the meal; similarly I think they all have some simple way of saying to be less aggressive for a bit so exercise will be safer. That's the kind of thing that appeals to me, should I ever get the chance to have one.

Hi @NikkiB

It is good to hear that you are going to follow up things with your GP, and also talk to your team about a pump. I like @Inka ’s ‘easy meals‘ idea and shall be following that up.

The switch to a pump involves some work initially but then it can make life so much more flexible, as well as improving TIR with less effort. It enabled me to head off lows and highs, adjust my basal for specific activities, and also helped a lot during illness.

I switched to the closed loop system nearly two years ago. My pump and sensor have a chat every 5 minutes and make Changes to my background insulin if appropriate. The algorithm, based on the data over the previous 72 hours anticipate lows and highs and make the adjustments without involving me. It took me a while to trust it, and to let it get on with things. Now in general I only need to tell it the carbs at a meal, and make some adjustments for exercise. With far less effort on my part, my TIR is usually in the high 80s or in the 90s.

I have learnt so many practical tips from others on here, tapping into their different ways of approaching things, and sometimes it is just one gem that makes a lot of difference. let us know how things go.

Bruce and SB2015-- that's really helpful! When I was first starting to try to find out about pumps and 'closed loop systems', it took me ages to find simple explanations of the basics.

Another thing that may be obvious, but, for me, the penny didn't drop until I read something spelling it out!: Pumps don't use long-acting insulin at all. Instead, for your basal they give you regular and frequent little driblets of rapid-acting insulin.

Which of course is a great idea! For us basal-bolusers: when our BG starts going low, we may wish we didn't have that basal on board just now, but there's nothing we can do about it-- we can't stick a tiny little hoover in our arms and suck out the long-acting insulin temporarily until our BG goes up again.

Whereas, with a closed loop system, when your BG starts going low, the CGM can tell the pump 'Stop dribbling!' and it stops-- no more basal until it's actually needed again, at which point the CGM tells the pump to resume normal dribbling service. Much more like a normal pancreas, responding flexibly to your needs; and I imagine this also psychologically feels better.

And if you can't get/don't want a pump, make sure you get the smart reusable pens (presuming the insulin you take is Novo Nordisk). They can show the last dose and how long ago it was taken.
And (on Android) the LibreLink app has finally been updated to scan the smart pens, so insulin doses can be given by scanning the pens.

Which is a bit annoying (because you have to get the right bit of the phone, as with the sensors) but the pens remember lots of doses (likely hundreds) so it's not necessary to scan after every dose.

And (on Android) the LibreLink app has finally been updated to scan the smart pens, so insulin doses can be given by scanning the pens.

Which is a bit annoying (because you have to get the right bit of the phone, as with the sensors) but the pens remember lots of doses (likely hundreds) so it's not necessary to scan after every dose.
Oh no.... Another spy in the cab!! 🙄All my stacked corrections would be there for all (or the consultant at least) to see😱 Actually I log all my stacked corrections on my Libre reader, so they are there for him to see anyway and happy to explain them if I needed to....... but curious to know how do you weed out the air shots from the doses, so that it doesn't log more insulin than you have actually injected? For instance, I usually do just half a unit air shot. Just enough to get a droplet on the end of the needle..... but if I don't get a droplet, I may need to dial up another half or 1 unit to get a droplet before I inject. Sometimes I inject and whilst the needle is still in, I have a rethink and dial up another half, 1 or 2 units because I decide I am going to have something else with my meal or I didn't take into account a correction or whatever and many of my boluses are just 2 units anyway, so I am not sure how it would weed out the air shots from the doses, so that it records a reasonably accurate TDD. Maybe I am missing something?

but curious to know how do you weed out the air shots from the doses,
I think it does that automatically (don't know whether it's the pen or LibreLink). Oh, OK, I'm wrong. Looks like the air shots are also being recorded. That's a bit of a disappointment, I thought they were going to try and remove them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back