Burning pains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elaine42

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hope you can help, I have been getting a burning sensation, which is in the background most of the time but can be very sharp and quite painful, at the tip of my toes, I have recently been to chiropodist who said this is cause for concern and to inform my doctor. But now I seem to be getting the same sensation on my body. This is quite painful and definitely a burning sensation but not on the surface of the skin, deep inside. I have only been diagnosed for two years and thought that complications would not come on so quickly. My blood sugers are either high or low, I don't seem able to settle them. I asked for an education programme at my last visit in April but I was put on a Type 2 course and they would not let me stay.

Have you told your diabetes team? What is your hba1c? Do you check for keytones? Sorry for all the questions, but it may help other more qualifed experts than me to answer your questions! Is the pain constant? Does it only happen when your levels are high? Bev

I telephoned diabetic team last week but she can take a couple of weeks to get back to me. My hba1c was 8.1 in April coming down from 9 and unfortunately I don't have any strips to check for keytones, will have to get some next week. The pain seems to be in the background constantly but then can break through quite strong. It doesn't seem to matter if I am high or low.

I had a similar burning sensation in my toes a few months back (diagnosed last May). I was told that, when you are getting back from sustained periods of high levels - i.e. getting treatment after possibly being undiagnosed for a while - your nerves can become sensitive in this way. This seems to have eased now. This was last summer, before I developed chilblains during the winter! I didn't feel the sensations in my body as you describe though.

I had real bad burning pains in my feet, so bad I couldn't wait for anywhere else to be open, so I took myslef up to A&E, told them I was diabetic and got my feet checked out.

Turns out I had celulitis and have a weeks worth of antibiotics to finish up.

Do go get those feet checked out, it may just be stress and you're worrying. Whatever it is, it is re-assurance for you and it can be treated...

Hope you can help, I have been getting a burning sensation, which is in the background most of the time but can be very sharp and quite painful, at the tip of my toes, I have recently been to chiropodist who said this is cause for concern and to inform my doctor. But now I seem to be getting the same sensation on my body. This is quite painful and definitely a burning sensation but not on the surface of the skin, deep inside. I have only been diagnosed for two years and thought that complications would not come on so quickly. My blood sugers are either high or low, I don't seem able to settle them. I asked for an education programme at my last visit in April but I was put on a Type 2 course and they would not let me stay.

Hi Elaine... it does sound like Neuropathy to me.. i had the same thing just after diagnosis.. terrible burning shooting pains. Mine was caused by prolonged high levels... it has since completely stopped {thank god}as it was unbearable at one point.
hopefully you will feel better soon... let us know how you get on at the doctors.
p.s. Lyrica is usually prescribed for Neuropathy pain..it does work , i no longer have to take it now that things have settled down 🙂

Many thanks for your support. DN telephoned today, which I was surprised she got back to me so soon. Anyway she said it sounds like neuropathy pain and just to be extra careful and to check my feet, if they get cut or hurt I may not notice. But that was all the advice she could give me. She said just to tell the doctor next time I go to clinic, which won't be until next April as I have just been. Just have to live with it I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back