burning lantus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiv

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
(unfortunately i don't mean a bonfire of lantus, although it does sound fun).

so last night, i did my usual injection of lantus into my left thigh, as per usual (i'm very good with making sure i rotate the sites).

but for a good few hours after, i could still feel the burn of the lantus. it was like an ice-cold poker in my thigh or something. even when i walked to work this morning i could feel where i'd injected last night.

has anyone else had this? i've had it a few times in the past but much milder than this.

(also, weirdest day ever. dropped to 2.7 after breakfast but felt high - i even said to my colleague 'i can tell i'm high, let's test to see how high' and then got the 2.7 reading. scoffed lucozade tabs and chocolate digestives and was up to 7.1 about an hour later. in the couple of hours after that though, i dropped back down to 5.8, eventually landing at 4.3 pre-lunch. i felt awful - headache, sick/nauseous, etc. not good!)

mmm, sometimes I get it too. It aint very nice :( like someones set my leg on fire. Not had it for a while though

thats happens to me too like yourself i am very good and change sites but it still hurts like hell

Last edited:
Ive never had it last that long, but it hurts every time i inject lantus. evil stuff 😉

Was the lantus colder than usual, that can often make it sting more.

I get that from time to time where the soreness from the injection continues well into the next day. It's usually when I bruise too so I assume it's because I've hit some blood vessel or something.

Lantus is an acid solution and when it reacts with the body it forms crystals that slowly dissolve over (supposedly) 22-24 hours. This is why it stings when injected. I've only ever had one occasion when the sting lasted longer that a few seconds, and that was when I injected in my leg when I was trying out new sites. It convinced me not to use my legs for lantus injections! I suppose it must have something to do with whether you happen to have some nerve endings in the area you inject. Sometimes when I inject in my hips the injection can be quite painful and last a few minutes - never as long as you've described though shiv😱

This link explains how lantus and levemir work, which I found interesting:

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/...nd-levemir--whats-the-difference/?section=200

hi thanks for the info my dsn said to inject in the top of leg due to it being a long acting insulin so i defo bring it up at my next appointment

hi thanks for the info my dsn said to inject in the top of leg due to it being a long acting insulin so i defo bring it up at my next appointment

I inject it in my tummy. I tend not to use my legs as you're not supposed to use places where the muscles might be used a lot - and I walk and run a lot!🙂

Could you have hit muscle instead of fat? I've done that a couple of times, and it burns like hell, and it's often painful for quite a while after.

It might also explain you dropping today. If you hit muscle and the lantus is sitting there, it could be being absorbed a little bit faster than normal.

never had the burning sensation with out flames, hope you don't get it too often.

Northe' great link, I actually read it all straight away interesting, so why does my nurse say Levemir lasts 24hrs, and to be honest it seems to!??:confused: I guess we're all a bit different. or at least I am!!🙂

never had the burning sensation with out flames, hope you don't get it too often.

Northe' great link, I actually read it all straight away interesting, so why does my nurse say Levemir lasts 24hrs, and to be honest it seems to!??:confused: I guess we're all a bit different. or at least I am!!🙂

A lot of people split levemir doses as it doesn't last anywhere near 24 hours in them - if it works OK for you I think you might be one of the lucky ones!🙂

I find it stings more in my legs too, but I always inject it there anyway.

Always got that burn with Lantus. My understanding is it's to do with the chemical composition of it. I was changed to Levemir which is the same sort of insulin, but it doesn't give that burn. Perhaps you could speak to your doctor about other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back