Burning feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Having been to my GP twice complaining of severe pain in my feet at night [feels like they are on fire],only to be told `the only worry is if your feet feel cold`,I`m at my wits end as to how to stop the burning and get a nights sleep. Any advice appreciated from anyone who knows what I`m talking about - Type2 diabetic

Having been to my GP twice complaining of severe pain in my feet at night [feels like they are on fire],only to be told `the only worry is if your feet feel cold`,I`m at my wits end as to how to stop the burning and get a nights sleep. Any advice appreciated from anyone who knows what I`m talking about - Type2 diabetic

Hi Graham, welcome to the forum🙂 How long have you been diagnosed? If it was recently it may be that your nerves are highly sensitive as your treatment starts to bring your blood sugar levels down towards normal levels. I had pains in my toes for a couple of months after diagnosis, but these have now practically disappeared. How do your feet look? It might be worth getting an appointment to see a podiatrist - they will be able to check your feet for pulse and sensitivity.

firstly hi and welcome graham,Burning feet maybe caused by lack of Vitamin B 12. it could also be the early signs of neuropathy, are they tingely as well? they is a drug called gabapentin (neurotin) which is used to ease pain in neuropathy but of course you will need to make appointment with doctor first and see what they say .

Last edited:
My problem is at the other end. I've had a headache and pains in my neck and jaw for a fortnight now. Nothing seems to help. I've an eye test booked for Monday. It could be side effects as Northerner says. Keep complaining though and ask for that podiatrist's appointment. Have you tried ice packs? That's all I can think of.

I had the problem with burning sensations in my feet and was diagnosed with neuropathy about a year ago now. I have been taking gabapetin which has really helped. I don't know what your problem is but I don't think it is right that your GP is just turning you away with no investigation/answers or appreciation of the distress it is causing you. Is there another GP or practice nurse you can see?

You are experiencing diabetic neuropathy, the high blood gloucose level's in your system have gone unattended for quite some time for this to develop. Once the myelin coating of your connecting nerve fibres is damaged there is no known repair/remedy for this pain/discomfort at present. You must get your average blood level's (hbA1c test) to below 6.0 to prevent any further spread or damage. Neuropathy starts at your extremities, feet, hands etc. and unchecked through good blood sugar control, will spread inwards focusing on your vital organs. This is why your kidney function is monitored carefully as a high protein result indicates that the micro-vascular part of your kidney's has been irrepairably damaged by the spread of neuropathy. All because a slight tingling started in your feet.

Any sensation you are feeling now will probably be with you forever. Your mission now is to prevent the spread. Get those blood numbers down in a determined and fastidious manner. Your nerve damage is hurting your feet now. Imagine what it will do to your heart.

You are experiencing diabetic neuropathy,...Any sensation you are feeling now will probably be with you forever. Your mission now is to prevent the spread. Get those blood numbers down in a determined and fastidious manner. Your nerve damage is hurting your feet now. Imagine what it will do to your heart.

Hi spoodgel, this isn't necessarily the case - we don't know Graham's full situation so we can't assume the cause is neuropathy. As I said in my earlier post, recently diagnosed people can experience heightened nerve sensations as their blood sugar levels fall in the initial stages of treatment (as happened to me). Graham's doctor will also have had neuropathy in mind, one would hope - but a trip to the podiatrist would seem the best course of action. It may not be diabetes related at all, although we obviously tend to blame that first.

Try not to worry Graham and ask if you can have your feet checked by a podiatrist - this should happen at least once a year, when was the last ime you had such a check?

I always had 'bad feet' from age of 16 but i first experienced this burning 8 years ago when in scotland ...and thought i had just cold feet we lived up on north coast almost perma frost land...it went on and on and i ended up investigating 'restless feet syndrome'..doc said it was due to the nerves rubbing on bone probably from bad shoes in youth..then diagniosed T2 year ago and i must admit since taking more control of sugars 1 month ago...and finding this forum.. they've been alot better, still numb big toes but leg and foot pain at night much better..still have to keep them out duvet tho'

cant offer medical advice but my nursey says my foot tests are fine...good luck
am

Sorry, but the reality is, Graham must control his blood level's now!!! Because as described, he is almost certainly in the initial stages of neuropathy development, which as we all know, does lead to a world that none of us wish to be in. Harsh word's now, softer landings.
http://www.neuropathy.org/site/PageServer?pagename=About_Symptoms

i wouldn't say its definitely neuropathy. There could be many many reasons for it.

A while ago, I had pains in my hands which i assumed were neuropathy. It wasn't, rather a form of RSI and the possible onset of carpal tunnel.

We can't just assume things without knowing the full extent of what's going on. Tests need to be carried out before anything can be said for definite

Hi Graham,

Try not to worry but do be firm with your doc if you dont feel they are taking your concerns seriously. If youre worried and in pain that is plenty enough reason to do further investigations in my book!

I find i get more action from my diabetic team at the hospital than from my GP. Do you have a diabetic nurse at the hospital you could call for some advice?

Viki

I'm moving the discussion about posting etiquette out of Graham's thread as it has wandered away from offering him support and information!

Hi Graham

I'd agree, definately keep pestering your doctor until you get the answers you need, ask for a second opinion or a referral if you don't think you're getting what you need. It could indeed be diabetes caused and neuropathy, but equally it could be a number of different things.
For example, I went to the doctors about 6 months ago convinced I had neuropathy because of the strange sensations I was having in my feet, I was terrified. However all the tests they did on them showed no trouble at all. After a long chat with the nurse trying to work out what the problem could be I went to get fitted for new running shoes, since then I've had no issues. Now, obviously I'm not saying that it's the same issue for you, just that there could be a number of different causes and it's not always the obvious one. Of course if it is then it's a case of looking at the different options available once you know what you're dealing with.

Hope you start getting the answers you need from your GP.

Keep pestering your doctor, or if it's too bad go to A&E. I went to A&E with burning pains in my feet because I didn't want to wait a week for an appointment with my GP (that's all they could offer me when I phoned). It turned out to be cellulitus (unsure of spelling) and needed antibiotics to clear it up. I hope you get some relief from the discomfort soon.

Hi, I have pins and needles in my feet all the time, mine is Retinopathy but i couldn't diagnose you with the same as not qualified to do so, i'd go to another GP if possible.

Good luck
Julie x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back