Bubbles

Status
Not open for further replies.

papabear365

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am a newbie on the pump (only a month and a half) and bubbles in my reservoir is doing my head in ive tried degassing and its helped a bit any suggestions?:confused:

Hi and welcome to the forum 🙂

Which pump do you have? My son uses the Medtronic Veo, so I can help with anything specific to that!

In general, it does take a while to perfect your reservoir-filling technique when you first start pumping. Are you getting bubbles right from the start or are they appearing after a couple of days? It's important to use a vial of insulin that is at room temperature, NOT from the fridge, otherwise air which is dissolved in the insulin evaporates out into bubbles as it warms up. The degassing method can be useful, but whatever technique you use, don't rush! Hold the reservoir upright and use something hard like a coin to give a few sharp taps to the outside of the reservoir, sending any bubbles up to the top. They can then be expelled through the tubing in the priming process.

Good tips from Redkite.

You are not alone... Lots of peeps get trouble with bubbles and there are millions of suggestions online. You jus have to work out a combination that you find effective.

Go VERY careful with 'degassing' - too much of a vacuum and the little rubber-ring seals on the reservoir plunger can easily fail, allowing insulin to leak back towards the piston - I had that several times before giving up/adapting the technique.

Other thoughts on bubbles over here: http://diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetesforum/index.php/topic,4448.0.html

Funnily enough the most improvement in getting rid of bubbles I have experienced is tapping the pump gently as it is priming, always see some air "released" that could not be seen in the reservoir on attaching ( noticed you have found the same in point 9 EDUAD). I have tried degassing etc but makes it difficult to fill. I always fill up slowly slowly too which helps.

Its the same drawing it from a syringe ??

Similar, but don't forget that many people have never used a syringe, having been started off with an insulin pen.

Practice makes perfect. If someone put you on a bike what happens when you cant ride it ! After a couple of sore concrete burns you learn

If someone put you on a bike what happens when you cant ride it ! After a couple of sore concrete burns you learn
Not if someone hasn't given you a crucial piece of info (like you need to use the pedals) it's the same with filling reservoirs. If you don't have the correct info you keep on getting concrete burns! (To use your analogy)🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back