bruising of injection sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiekin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have had diabetes type 1 for 13 years or so, and have generally had ok injection sites as i rotate my arms for Novorapid and between my legs and stomach for Levemir. However just recently (last 2-3 weeks) every levemir injection i do causes a painful bruise and lump which stays there for around a week or so.

I am currently injecting 44 units of levemir at night. It has been reduced recently as i have lost some weight and am eating less.
Has anyone had a similar problem? if so can anyone offer any advice as to what could be going on?

I would appreciate any help as this is seriously getting me down.

Hi katiekin, welcome to the forum 🙂 I rarely get bruising these days, it usedto happen a lot in the early days, but you are clearly beyond that. Perhaps give your tummy a rest and try your hips?

Last edited:
I sympathise. I have recently come down from 85 units morning and evening. I inject in rotation left side waistline either above or below belly button, right side waistline. Of course with 85 units this is 2 injections each time. You say you've lost weight, have you lost some fat off your waist and maybe that's the cause? What needle size, do you pinch etc. I used to get lumps when I injected my thighs, so I moved to the waist, where it's not such a problem.

sorry to hear your grief, I can't rally advise, I have been getting bruises and having pain from injecting in tummy as I haven't really noticed where I actually inject and need to. I do find it less painful when inserting needle slowly and pinching, I use a 5mm needle but as I said need to note where on my tummy I inject!

Take care, chin up

Rossi 🙂

thanks for the advice about the hips northener, will give it a go.

I use 8mm needles and yes i do normally pinch. the weight loss is something i hadnt thought about though, this could be a factor. Do you think it would be worth me splitting my levemir into 2 doses as you have done, because of the size of dose Vicsetter?

Thanks rossi_mac, this is my first post here and it is so nice talking to people who really know what you are talking about.
xxx

There are smaller needles that can work better for slimmer people - I use 6mm, but there are 5mm and recently heard of 4mm too - might help!

... this is my first post here and it is so nice talking to people who really know what you are talking about.
xxx

Glad you found "us" together we are great so stick around for help and to help, and have a laugh and let of some steam now & again!!

Rossi 🙂

yeh i could definately try shorter needles, i will probably go to 6mm first, go down in steps.
I will for sure be sticking around here after all this advice!
xxxx

I split mine because levemir does not last the full 24 hours, so unless you think this may be happening don't change. You are supposed to adjust the evening dose according to your morning fasting BG reading. I'm only presuming it's the same for Type 1s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back