Bruise on cannula site

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLang

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I put a cannula on three days with no problem. After two days I noticed some bruising so I removed the cannula. The bruise is increasing iand is now about the size of 1.5 times a two pence piece:confused: M took a photo but I can't upload it.

My son does get a bruise at the cannula site every now and then, it's due to hitting a small blood vessel under the skin, which bleeds a little. Unless it's looking bright red and feels hot/sore (which would be an infection needing antibiotics), a bruise will go away after a few days.

Thanks Redkite I was just surprised because it hasn't happened before and is getting bigger.

My son does get a bruise at the cannula site every now and then, it's due to hitting a small blood vessel under the skin, which bleeds a little. Unless it's looking bright red and feels hot/sore (which would be an infection needing antibiotics), a bruise will go away after a few days.

Sometimes I get a small amount of bruising if the site has been knocked/leaned on in a weird way too. But I agree with Redkite, most likely you just nicked a capillary this time. As long as the insulin is absorbing OK I wouldn't worry, but just steer clear of that spot for a month or two to give time for it to heal well.

Thanks Mike. I mentioned it to the GP because it was the latest in series of bruises. She said it could be the cannula but has also arranged a load of blood tests 😱

Do you use 90 degree or angled cannulas Amanda?

I find the angled ones much less likely to bruise me on insertion, though they do leave more of a mark afterwards where the cannula enters the skin.

Thanks Mike. They are the 90 degree cannulas. I guess it surprised me because I've never had any bruising at all before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back