Broken bones and diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I recently fractured my hand and didn’t know if this can a my blood sugar as today I’ve been super low and had a hypo a few hours ago. Does anyone know if this could affect it? Also should I email my DSN and let them know about it?

I recently fractured my hand and didn’t know if this can a my blood sugar as today
Of course it can! (Is there anything at all that can't affect blood sugar?)
Also should I email my DSN and let them know about it?
Dunno. Depends what sorts of things you normally tell them about, I guess. If you find you're having problems managing your blood sugar during this, then yes, absolutely ask for help.

Usually predicted to have entirely the opposite effect ie increasing BG massively (I needed 3x as much when I smashed a patella) - so you're unusual. I'd definitely ask my clinic but would assume I'd need to do the opposite thing with my insulin ie decrease firstly my fast acting but then if that wasn't enough, reduce my basal too. I wouldn't personally like to wait to get an email response so I'd ring and keep ringing till I got hold of them.

Had few broken bones since diagnosis, usually end up with higher bg levels than low, that is until pain settles down, suppose we can all react differently to injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back