British nurses 'burnt-out' study finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Research on nurses in 13 countries found job dissatisfaction experienced by English nurses was some of the worst in Europe.
Researchers in England surveyed more than 2,900 nurses based at more than 40 hospitals and results were compared with similar samples from 11 other European countries and from the US.
The survey found 42 per cent of English nurses surveyed were assessed as being burnt out ? second only to Greece ? while 44 per cent stated that they intended to leave their job in the next year due to dissatisfaction.
It comes after a survey by the Royal College of Nursing found nurses on older people's wards often do not have enough time to talk to patients or help with them with eating and toileting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9158427/British-nurses-burnt-out-study-finds.html

This is nothing new. In the late 1960s I went out with about ten different nurses from the local hospital nurses home. At week ends they went wild. Smoking, drinking, partying was the norm. They had to to let off the steam of working under pressure. Seven years later (1974) when my first son was borne, at that same hospital, my wife went in for the ten days, which was normal in them days after the first borne, I met a few of the nurses. By then most were married and they treated my Mrs and new son with affection. Nothing was said of the 1960s era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back