Brexit 'likely to cause cancer test delays'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hospitals are likely to experience delays to cancer testing and treatment regardless of the result of next week's Brexit vote, BBC Newsnight has learned.

The Royal College of Radiologists has told doctors to prepare for possible delays for some drugs used to detect cancer if there is a no-deal Brexit.

It says clinicians should reduce their workload in the days after 29 March, when the UK is due to leave the EU.

The government said it had "robust" plans for however the UK leaves the EU.

MPs will vote on Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit withdrawal agreement by 12 March.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47462762

This just one of the many things that are the unintended consequences of Brexit. Well, not unintended, just unconsidered.

How on earth do they reduce their workload ? If the drugs have a short shelf life they can hardly store keep them just in case they get a desperately urgent case ?

How on earth do they reduce their workload ? If the drugs have a short shelf life they can hardly store keep them just in case they get a desperately urgent case ?
They're reducing future appointments for after Brexit :(

Bit ruddy late to tell them to do that now I'd have thought?

Hello Mr Jones, looks like you have cancer of the brain, or indeed anywhere else, but sorry we can't scan you to make sure you aren't riddled with it cos this dept have used up their allocation of radio isotypes - so simply put your life on hold until radiography can fit you in somewhere - and you MUST avoid exacerbating your condition in the meantime at all costs …….

There are more than enough delays and potential ones in the cancer system when times aren't fraught to begin with - so although I'm not currently affected by this I live with the sword of Damocles hanging over me being the only member of my immediate family who has so far escaped the very big C. (But apparently that doesn't make me any more likely to get it because the genetic testing people say I'm not therefore I've always been able to sleep soundly in my bed since then - I wish)

We can now blame Brexit for everything, probably including the weather and the state of the train service, instead of general incompetence and austerity. The excuse de nos jours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back