Breakthrough in diabetes stem cell treatment

Amity Island

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Scientists in Shanghai achieved a historic breakthrough after successfully eliminating a long-term patient's type 2 diabetes through a pioneering cell therapy treatment.

Scientists in Shanghai achieved a historic breakthrough after successfully eliminating a long-term patient's type 2 diabetes through a pioneering cell therapy treatment.

Is this true ? If the person has his own stem cell ?

Is this true ? If the person has his own stem cell ?

He is Type 2 @Mom of Type 1 For Type 1s like your son and me, this is only a first step because our own immune systems will destroy any new beta cells just like they destroyed our old ones. Until new beta cells can be manipulated (to remove the immune trigger) or encapsulated (to protect them from the immune system), this won’t provide a cure.

There are often stories like this @Mom of Type 1 I’ve had Type 1 30yrs and have seen loads of ‘cure in 5 years’, ‘could this be the cure for Type 1?’ articles. At first, I used to get excited, but now I just note them and move on mentally. There will be a cure one day but it’s best not to focus on that too much and just get on with everyday life.

Back