Breaking lifelong limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Alyssa Sternadel is sprite-like in appearance and mannerism.

Her soft face, accentuated by large almond-shaped brown eyes and a petite frame, may not look like a poster face of diabetes - but it is.

The 15-year-old's forced way of life resonates with about 10,000 other Victoria County diabetics, as well as 25.8 million other diabetics across the United States, both numbers unforgivingly increasing and not slowing down.

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/new..._of_diabetes_1_102311_155914/?news&local-news

Some inaccuracies there apparently she doesn't bother testing at dinner/tea time although she does test at 2am, plus she only USES the pump at mealtimes. So does she put it in her locker the rest of the time?

ROFL, that's where I stopped reading.

Err, I don't have a forced lifestyle, does anyone on here feel they have? You (surely?) only would feel forced if you didn't accept your D, so if you do feel like that, then you need help. Not joking there. I mean it's tedious at times, but - shrug - just summat I have to do like cleaning my teeth.

I get really annoyed at articles like this which are written in a way that seems to want me to feel pity for the girl - or anyone else with D.

I mean, what do people generally think a diabetic teenager looks like? (we've had this question before, but it wasn't restricted to age!!)

I think articles get slanted like this so that people are more likely to put their hands in their pockets and support research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back