Breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliff

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just how important is it for a type 2 on diet/exercise control with no meds? I ask the question because it is a meal I have always skipped during the week. I'm up and out the house by 6.30am and if I left any later, my commute would rapidly turn into a nightmare (and I'm reluctant to get up any earlier than I already do). For the sake of the argument, assume that my lunch and dinner are "diabetic healthy" and that the absence of breakfast does not cause me to compensate elsewhere, by snacking for example.

Any views?

http://www.diabitieslife.com/diabet...st-important-meal-of-the-day-for-diabetic.htm

I found that link , me personally i skipped breakfast for a long time but now i dont even if its just a banana that takes me to my work which is in a kitchen and about 11 i will have slice of toast there.I was always told it is bad to skip brekkie but in life they aint always enough hours in the day, obviosly now im on pills (i wasnt to start with) i have it as i need to take metformin with food.

Last edited:
Not sure how you commute Cliff, and I appreciate that eating or drinking while driving, cycling or riding a motorbike isn't really practical, but if you walk or use public transport, taking a "packed breakfast" might be an option? Made the night before, oviously, so you don't have to get up earlier.

Hi Cliff, it is actually important to eat something, even if it's only something small like a slice of toast. When you wake in the morning hormones click into play and prompt your liver to release glucose into your bloodstream to give you a 'boost' at the start of the day. If you eat something, then this mechanism will be 'switched off' and your body will process the food. If you don't, then your liver may continue producing glucose and raising your blood sugar levels. This happens to a greater degree in some people, causing their blood sugar to climb above recommended levels and is known as the 'Dawn Phenomenon'.

I know it can be a difficult habit to get into, but it can be done - I was the same before diagnosis! You need to make just a few minutes in your day to take care of your diabetes - it's sometimes a pain, but it may save you from more undesirable results in years to come so it's a small price to pay whilst you djust.🙂

Not sure how you commute Cliff, and I appreciate that eating or drinking while driving, cycling or riding a motorbike isn't really practical, but if you walk or use public transport, taking a "packed breakfast" might be an option? Made the night before, oviously, so you don't have to get up earlier.

I drive to work - walking or cycling is not an option as I live about 36 miles away from the office and I have to carry a lot of equipment around with me.

From the reading I've done, I know the standard advice is that breakfast is very important but no-one actually says why (I do understand it's different when you're on meds that have to be taken with food or take insulin). I just wonder if the thinking is that those that skip breakfast tend to make up the lost food with inappropriate eating at other times, which is a problem I don't have. On the other hand, if breakfast will positively assist in my diabetic control, I'll find a way of doing it.

Hi Cliff, it is actually important to eat something, even if it's only something small like a slice of toast. When you wake in the morning hormones click into play and prompt your liver to release glucose into your bloodstream to give you a 'boost' at the start of the day. If you eat something, then this mechanism will be 'switched off' and your body will process the food. If you don't, then your liver may continue producing glucose and raising your blood sugar levels. This happens to a greater degree in some people, causing their blood sugar to climb above recommended levels and is known as the 'Dawn Phenomenon'.

I know it can be a difficult habit to get into, but it can be done - I was the same before diagnosis! You need to make just a few minutes in your day to take care of your diabetes - it's sometimes a pain, but it may save you from more undesirable results in years to come so it's a small price to pay whilst you djust.🙂

Northerner - thank you for your reply. That's just the sort of "science stuff" I was looking for.

I was always brought up to believe that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If I don't eat when I gget up and just take my meds, I have an upset tummy all day. Even if you just have a slice of bread and butter or a piece of fruit it is better than nothing.

I am an early starter to avoid the rush, and leave home around 5.30 most days, so try to make time for something as my first break isn't normally until around 9 or 9.30 am and it's too long after my evening meal to go with out eating.

I hate getting up in the morning so used to do the same as you. Now I have breakfast everyday - when I get to work. i usually have either shreddies or shredded wheat with milk or a low fat/ low sugar yogurt on. Luckily our company is cool about breakfast & a lot of people have it when they get in.

Means I dont have to get up any earlier than normal but get to fit in a healthy breakkie :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back