Breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am in pursuit of a low-carb diet.

So for breakfast I've been having fruit and porridge or muesli - and have managed quite nicely on it.

However, I need read in the Colloins Gem Carb Counter that it is a mistake to eat fruit for breakfast: it needs a reasonable quantity of protein in the same meal to camcel out the carbs in the fructose.

I've no problem with moving my fruit intake to lunch and dinner, but it leaves me with the question - what on earth do all you low-carbers eat for breakfast?

I will appreciate some outline of your breakfast menus, if you can spare a few moments to subcribe to this thread.

Morning Jean

I'm trying the low carb diet too and don't normally eat breakfast but when I do I tend to have scrambled eggs. I don't eat meat but you could have bacon too.

I don't do low carb, but this might be useful:
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/joomla/diabetes-blogs/Shopping-For-Breakfast.html?blogger=VBH
See if some of those suggestions help. Also at the bottom is a link to Alan's blog with his breakfast suggestions.

It IS generally a mistake to eat fruit for breakfast because your insulin resistance is likely to be at its highest first thing in the morning. Carbs are therefore likely to have a bigger effect on your BG at that time of day.

You mention you have managed nicely on fruit, porridge or meusli for breakfast. Try em again but do a 1 hour test and see what you think.

Then try bacon & eggs, test at 1 & two hours and see which you prefer 😉

Porridge raises my BG by 4mmol/l. Bacon/eggs raises me by 1mmol/l at the most. Pass the frying pan 😉

Incidentally there was something on TV last week about bacon & eggs being the breakfast that left you feeling fuller for longer. This makes since since carbs are processed faster and protein is effectively an appetite suppressant.

I normally have fruit or cereal or a cheese sandwich on whole meal bread. Whatever time of day you eat it the fruit will always have fructose in it, which has to be better than a big bag of jelly babies or a bar of chocolate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back