Breakfast testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndasw

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am doing some serious breakfast testing at the moment. As I have to buy my own stripes I have eased off testing since being diagnosed. I had already established that white, wholemeal and granary bread are no good but have been okay with seeded varieties. However the other morning I was 5.4 and 1.5 hrs later after two pieces of seeded/oat toast 10.9:( So I am trying other options, crispbreads, turkey rashers etc cereals are a bit of a problem but I seem to tolerate oatabix and shredded wheat (Yuk to both lol). The problem is I am up at 5.40am and in work by 7 so I don't have time to go making eggs etc and I have to consider my high cholesteral. Also lunch isn't until 12.30 and I find if I have yoghurt and fruit I go really low mid morning and then start picking.

I think there might be something else going on as well, as I spiked after a jacket potato the other day and I used to tolerate them quite well :( Wondering whether I am not tolerating carbs as well as I first did. Anyway I will sort breakfasts first and then worry about the rest!

Hiya Lynda maybe try having bacon and scrambled egg thats something i have quite often and it is fine, as for jacket pototoes i stay well clear of them, total nigthmare lol.As for the egg thing making the scrambled egg is easy whip 2 eggs up add some milk and whack in the micowave.

As Steff says jacket tatties can cause a lot of us issues, I rarely have them.

Seeded bread is nice!

I went through a time over the winter of doing porridge in the microwave only takes 4 mins and was good for the levels, maybe worth a go?

Bacon & egg is a good carb free breakfast so should help on some days or everyday. I have recently found mild success with shredded wheat, 2 biscuits with milk is just under 40 grams of carbs and it seems okay for me, and I'm injecting 2 units and not going low, even better!

Good luck

Rossi 🙂

Lynda

Have you tried 'Burgen' bread? I hear it can be kinder on the bgs for those who find bread a bit problematic. The other better option seems to be 'stoneground' wholemeal which has a low-medium GI. Something to do with the fact that the flour is not so efficiently milled when done with stones apparently.

If cereals are more your thing, have you tried no-added-sugar muesli? Some of there are quite gentle on the bgs for me (though others are disastrous!). Appreciate it may be different for T2s, esp those with higher resistance in the morning. Shame you don't have time for eggs - an omelette would pretty much leave your BGs alone I'd think.

Good luck with your search!
M

I use Burgen bread (but sometimes make my own bread in my breadmaker). I only have one slice though as 2 slices give me higher BS but one slice with say sometimes a boiled egg or a slice of cheese or a couple of rashers of bacon (sometimes i have vegge bacon which i quite like) sometimes a slice of black pudding i try and vary what i have with my one slice but i am more of a 'toast' person that cereal and haven't really experimented with cereals yet but keep meaning to try and see what porridge will do to me. Good luck with experimenting 🙂

I'm a porridge and banana kind of person in the morning.

But I don't use the quantity of oats that the box suggests. It is usually half that quantity.

I make it in the microwave and it is done in 2mins.

Andy

I am doing some serious breakfast testing at the moment. As I have to buy my own stripes I have eased off testing since being diagnosed. I had already established that white, wholemeal and granary bread are no good but have been okay with seeded varieties. However the other morning I was 5.4 and 1.5 hrs later after two pieces of seeded/oat toast 10.9:( So I am trying other options, crispbreads, turkey rashers etc cereals are a bit of a problem but I seem to tolerate oatabix and shredded wheat (Yuk to both lol). The problem is I am up at 5.40am and in work by 7 so I don't have time to go making eggs etc and I have to consider my high cholesteral. Also lunch isn't until 12.30 and I find if I have yoghurt and fruit I go really low mid morning and then start picking.

I think there might be something else going on as well, as I spiked after a jacket potato the other day and I used to tolerate them quite well :( Wondering whether I am not tolerating carbs as well as I first did. Anyway I will sort breakfasts first and then worry about the rest!

i agree with the bacon and eggs - although if you said you havent got the time could you not do it the night before and heat it up in the morning, maybe works better with an omlette but it is do-able 🙂

any sort of potato spikes most just because its like liquid glucose when its digested! i dont really like them anyway lol good job really!

Also have you tried those new breakfast biscuits, they are meant to release carbohydrates slowly over a period of 4 hours, i have been meaning to try them! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back