Breakfast ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellyj

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone
Whats the best breakfast to have, watching my carbs and new to this.
Give me an idea what you all have for your breakfast.
Thank you in advance looking forward to seeing what you eat.

This is what I have pretty much every morning at the moment (cut and pasted from my MyFitnessPal food diary):

Thursday, February 23, 2023
�����

Alternatively, I might have some full fat Greek yoghurt with raspberries, or a soft boiled egg with low carb bread. If you have the time, omelettes are good. European-style breakfasts of, for example, cheese, meats (ham, salami, bacon), eggs, but not so much the bread rolls or croissants. Shakshuka is probably yummy for breakfast just, as always, watch the carbs.

Last edited:
For me it is coffee with real double cream followed by creamy Greek natural yoghurt with berries (at the moment frozen sour cherries and blueberries but mixed summer fruits with black and red currents, rasps, blackberries and strawbs or stewed rhubarb when in season in the garden with a little sweetener or similarly stewed gooseberries or stewed apricots. Just a small amount of these fruits which can be quite tart, gives you a big hit of flavour and lower carb than apples oranges and bananas etc. I also have mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame and linseed) and a good sprinkle of cinnamon in it. A grab and go breakfast might be a Nature Valley protein bar but I try to limit that option because once I buy a box, I am tempted to eat them all. I am an all or nothing girl but they are handy if I have to be out of the house early or I am going to be away all day.

Occasionally I will have an omelette with all sorts of interesting fillings but usually involving cheese and mushrooms and a bit of onion, but courgette, pepper, aubergine, tomato and meat can all go in. I serve that with a big plate of salad and a good dollop of cheese coleslaw and some balsamic vinegar to dress it because I love balsamic vinegar. That is more a brunch but very low carb and will usually see me through till my evening meal without having to think about lunch.
Bacon, mushrooms and cabbage is another favourite with or without fried egg.... depends if the girls are laying.... or black pudding instead of the bacon again with cabbage and mushrooms and egg.
One slice of low carb seeded bread loaded up with fried mushrooms and scrambled egg, topped with cheese and chopped spring onions and served with pickled gherkins. I have developed a real taste for pickles since I went low carb. I think now that I hardly eat any sweet stuff, I appreciate savoury and sour flavours and even slight bitterness all the more. I feel like I taste in colour now rather than the black and white that I did before. Not sure that will make sense but I really savour food now and all the different flavours. Maybe it is because I have to put more thought into it and I appreciate it more.

This morning I had half slice toast with 1 scrambled egg and 25g smoked salmon and half slice toast with 1 tsp homemade ginger marmalade, cup coffee.
I keep forgetting about smoked salmon - must add that to the next shopping list!

Thank you just want to know what everyone on here has for breakfast and then take my pick of ideas.
Feel as thou I wake up at the moment and all I can think of is what I can and cant eat just seems abit overwhelming at the moment.
All looks interesting.

Mines very simple, I don't eat breakfast 🙂

If you want low carb foods look at bacon, eggs sausages if a meat eater. There's grapefruit if you like it and not using any meds that interact with it.

Thank you just want to know what everyone on here has for breakfast and then take my pick of ideas.
Feel as thou I wake up at the moment and all I can think of is what I can and cant eat just seems abit overwhelming at the moment.
All looks interesting.
Do not panic. If you've never had to think about diet and menu planning before, it can get a bit overwhelming. The thing to concentrate on is reduction of carbs, so for breakfast think less toast and cereal, more bacon and eggs.

Instead of bacon and eggs, {not the healthiest option every day) many of here are ok with things like porridge, granola, and some other cereals.
You really need to test your own BG after, and find what suits you.

I'm a big fan of porridge, I have it every morning with crushed walnuts and occasionally with a sprinkle of cinnamon on just to add a different taste of flavour, works for me.

I have the same thing every morning. 1 small red onion chopped in a bowl with tsp olive oil and some garlics and a chopped tomato microwaved, then I add 2 eggs and microwave again and then a sprinkle of black pepper. Fills you up for ages, but the bowl is heavy to lift, I always feel I'm having too much, but my bg seems okay.

A lot of peoples are having low carb bread but I can never find any. Definitely don't have it in Aldi or Tesco. :(

I must be the bad boy! I had a small bowl of Cornflakes with Semi Skimmed Milk and one and a half of White Buttered toast. Works for me. Highest I got was 10.9 and now, at lunch, I am 9.2.

I.did used to have a bowl of Bran Flakes and wholemeal toast but my digestion is slow slow that I was still high at lunchtime.

As type 1 have porridge most days, other day can be something like bacon & egg sarnie with HP Sauce, lovely.

I choose from the following:

Eggs cooked in all ways on brown seeded 1.5 carb a slice toast - Scrambled, poached, fried, boiled, omelettes. Sometimes with bacon, ham, tomatoes, (one), mushrooms, sausage, (high meat content) in various combinations but not all at once! 2 poached on toast my fav.

Naked ape keto porridge with semi skimmed milk.

Continental type - 3g carb bread roll, cheese, ham, pate or other cooked meats.

Nestle Kvarg yoghurt type things, half a pot but sometimes whole pot.

Toast with peanut butter (low carb bread 1.5 a slice), or one with peanut butter and one with lime marmalade, (eat peanut butter one first, fats dull the effect of carbs in the marmalade)

Pumpkin seed flat bread biscuits, virtualy zero carbs, with toppings.

Avocado pear with 2 x toast with ordinary salad cream, fats hide the cream carbs.

If having something with high fat content can also have small slice of mealon or 1/3 of an apple as a treat after.

Coffee with single cream and shock horror digestive biscuit, (works for me)

Breakfast can be difficult though as like me most type 2s are more sensitive in the mornings so some don't bother with breakfast at all.

It does get easier, in my case took nearly a year to get my head round what works for me and what dosn't plus memorising what food contains what carb levels.

After two hours readings always between 5.5 and 6.8 having started at 5.0 after morning cuppa so don't bother testing anymore at breakfast. With this and other meals I can pretty much keep my profile between 4.5 and 7.8 max 2 hrs after for 98% of the 24 hr day, which equates to a std non diabetic persons profile apparently.

Am kind of ignoring cholesterol figures, I exist off fats and proteins, gotta eat something! That said and after stuffing pretty much a whole bag of dry roasted peanuts per day for months my cholesterol figures are just a tad higher than normal. Happy days, so far.

I mostly eat eggs of some description.

Often veg and/or meat with egg & milk mixture and baked then cut into portions - think Frittata or crustless quiche (or done in silicone cupcake tray and then I have 2 or 3 mini Frittatas).

Sometimes scrambled eggs or fried eggs - if I'm doing fried eggs then usually with one slice of toast (usually a slightly lower carb per slice normal bread - generally lower as small, I haven't tried the low carb breads yet). I have a little butter or spread on the toast and maybe Marmite.

At weekends I don't always have breakfast, on work days I usually have it in the office.

Today I went for a more substantial breakfast as I was starting work from home and also expecting that I wouldn't get time to eat lunch (as it happened my lunchtime meeting was brought forward so I got myself a snack bag of Fridge Raiders for lunch!) - 3 egg omelette with a bit of cooked chicken and freshly grated parmesan, and a bit of oat milk, with a slice of Hovis Seed Sensations toast. Served with filter coffee with a little more oat milk in that.

I did some experiments with porridge last August which weren't very successful. Maybe I should try again now I have lost a lot of weight and got my HbA1c in normal range and see if I can cope with porridge now

I have overnight oats mixed seeds and berries. Scrambled eggs, tomatoes, sometimes add cheese to the eggs. If I have bran flakes I add scoop mixed seeds. Sometimes mackerel fillets and 1/2 slice wholemeal toast that has mixed seeds in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back