Breakfast Highs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryP

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All
I seem to have a problem with my sugar levels 2 hrs after breakfast. My morning numbers before breakfast are about 7.4 but I elevate to about 13 or so 2 hrs after breakfast and then return to acceptable levels prior to lunch @ 13:00. I take loads of medication during the morning for various conditions (Coronary and Circulation) and take 2 x Gliclazide before eating and 1 x Metformin during the meal. My normal breakfast it either porridge or Weetabix and occasionally Toast with Peanut butter. I have cut out all the fruit that I used to have with the cereals so I'm down to the basic cereal plus milk. I'm going to assume that its the cereal that is doing it but just wanted to check with the forum first. I'm reluctant to move into a more complicated (non standard) breakfast as I have to work and I need something quick and easy that is going to last me through the morning. As it is I am snacking on Peanuts during mid-morning.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Terry

Hi All
I seem to have a problem with my sugar levels 2 hrs after breakfast. My morning numbers before breakfast are about 7.4 but I elevate to about 13 or so 2 hrs after breakfast and then return to acceptable levels prior to lunch @ 13:00. I take loads of medication during the morning for various conditions (Coronary and Circulation) and take 2 x Gliclazide before eating and 1 x Metformin during the meal. My normal breakfast it either porridge or Weetabix and occasionally Toast with Peanut butter. I have cut out all the fruit that I used to have with the cereals so I'm down to the basic cereal plus milk. I'm going to assume that its the cereal that is doing it but just wanted to check with the forum first. I'm reluctant to move into a more complicated (non standard) breakfast as I have to work and I need something quick and easy that is going to last me through the morning. As it is I am snacking on Peanuts during mid-morning.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Terry

This is probably the cause of those high levels.
These are high in carbohydrates and will raise your blood sugar.

At least you are able to test and do a bit of experimenting with some different breakfast options. Full fat Greek yoghurt with berries, nuts and seeds.
Eggs with 1 slice of toast, quick to make and filling.

I have cut out all the fruit that I used to have with the cereals.
What was the reason for doing that? If they were berries they are the lowest carb fruits and many of us have them for breakfast.

Last edited:
What was the reason for doing that? It they were berries they are the lowest carb fruits and many of us have them for breakfast.
Hi, It was a Banana (well half of one) then I checked yesterday on good and bad fruits and Banana is in the bad list. So I didn't have one this morning thinking that my 2 hours after eating levels would be on track, only to find it at 12.4 so I thought I had better start asking people what's going on.

At least you are able to test and do a bit of experimenting with some different breakfast options. Full fat Greek yoghurt with berries, nuts and seeds.
Eggs with 1 slice of toast, quick to make and filling.
Thanks for the info. Is that any type of eggs, fried, boiled, scrambled, poached etc? and 1 or 2?

Thanks for the info. Is that any type of eggs, fried, boiled, scrambled, poached etc? and 1 or 2?
I have as many eggs as I feel I need - 3 or 4 some days, and I add grated cheese at the end of cooking, then usually add a tomato or some salad.
After that I don't eat until evening - though some days I don't eat any breakfast, just have a cup of coffee.

The need to snack may well be because the carbs in your breakfast are pushing your BG levels up quite high and then they are eventually dropping again and that makes you feel hungry. If you can find a breakfast combination which doesn't push them up so high, you likely won't need the snack before lunch. It isn't hunger as such (as in your body running low on fuel) it is your body wanting another glucose high.... ie more carbs. If you have a more protein and fat based breakfast, that craving for snacks stops unless it has become a habit. Scrambling a couple of eggs in the microwave takes less than 2 mins so it isn't time consuming and eggs are so good for you. I sometimes have mushrooms and cheese and a few pickled gherkins with scrambled eggs as the latter add a bit of zing.... or I have an omelette with a side salad and a big dollop of cheese coleslaw, but my standard weekday breakfast is Creamy Greek natural yoghurt with mixed seeds and cinnamon and a few berries, or sour cherries, or rhubarb from the garden (with a little sweetener) of currently stewed apricots from my tree and it will be gooseberries next. Love this time of year for the home grown fruit. Had the first few blueberries, blackcurrants and rasps the other day too.

Hi Terry, you have had some good responses already but I'll add my thoughts anyway. If you enjoy your porridge or weetabix, try having a smaller portion. There's nothing wrong with a small amount of fruit if it makes your breakfast tastier. Then add some protein to "dilute" the carbs - nuts/seeds sprinkled on? Maybe you could try hard boiled eggs as part of a portable breakfast or morning snack. I boil 6 at a time on a Sunday to prep for weekdays, then I can just grab a couple from the fridge on my way out. Just don't muddle up the raw ones and the cooked ones! You could also try a protein shake for breakfast or snack.

I order rolls from ketochef. They are the only bread I have found that are low carb and don’t taste like cardboard. They are extremely filling. I slice them and toast them and have them with peanut butter. Or put them under the grill with a slice of bacon and some cheese. Drawback they are expensive working out at about £1 a roll, I buy in bulk and freeze. Also full of fibre.

When I started checking BG after meals it didn’t take long for me to notice that my allegedly high fibre ‘slow release’ cereals were very hard for my ‘rapid‘ insulin to keep up with. With Weetabix being particularly spiky for me despite it’s wholegrain high fibre reputation.

I swapped to (mostly) seedy toast and found that works for me, though I only have one slice these days.

I do find eggs very filling and sustaining when I have them.

Of course part of the challenge at breakfast can be that your liver wades in and ‘helps out’ to fire up the burners for the day when you get up, dumping additional glucose on top of whatever you are eating - so you may be getting some of that too?

I whisk up 2 eggs , or sometimes I buy egg whites and have one normal egg and egg whites, mushrooms, strips of bacon or ham, sweetcorn, spinach, cheese, or sometimes salon and broccoli. Put it in one of those brown paper cases and chuck it in the air fryer for 15 mins. It can be prepared the night before and cooks whilst you’re getting ready. All the ingredients go in raw, and I guarantee you will be full up all day will minimal impact on blood sugar. Sure it works the same in the oven or even a frying pan.

Scrambled eggs this morning on 1 piece of toast. 7.9 before eating. 12.6 two hours after Grrrrr
How big was the slice of bread and did you do your premeal reading just before eating or was it a bit earlier? Just wondering if your liver had a chance to contribute to that rise or if it was just the bread.

How big was the slice of bread and did you do your premeal reading just before eating or was it a bit earlier? Just wondering if your liver had a chance to contribute to that rise or if it was just the bread.
Bog standard sliced loaf slice of (white bread). Premeal was about 10 mins before eating and about 20 mins after getting up. Half a cup of tea to wake me up before doing my bloods... Plus 2 Gliclazide after bloods and 1 Metformin half way through the meal.

So about 15-20g carbs which would raise your BG between 4.5 -6mmols working on the principle that 10g carbs raises your BG by 3mmols, so that more or less ties in with the rise you saw, suggesting that your first phase insulin response is pretty poor at the moment. Do your levels come back down by the next meal... 4-5 hours later?

And if rebrascora is right and it’s a first-phase deficiency, the next question might be whether you’re carrying excess pancreatic fat and whether you have scope to lose some weight and thereby reduce or clear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back