breakfast high

Status
Not open for further replies.

lo123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
this morning before breakfast my blood was 6.5. so for breakfast i had one slice of toast with low fat spread and one low fat yoghurt. 2 hours later my blood is 14.5!!!! I took 4 units of insulin. If i ate the toast and yoghurt during the day my blood would be fine but nearly always its high after breakfast. Does anyone know why? its really frustrating. I usually eat wholemeal brwon bread for breakfast but i had none this morning so i ate the toast. Im after taking extra insulin to bring the high dwon now but later it will probably go low on me - vicious cycle :(

Hi lo123, sometimes people experience different levels of insulin resistance at different times of the day. I too experience increased resistance in the morning and have to take 2.5 times more insulin to cover breakfast carbs as I do at lunch! As you say, you might come back into range without a correction dose - I'd tend to leave it myself, rather than risk a hypo and then have to treat it. Was it white bread toast? White bread spikes faster than sugar, or so I've been told!😱

this morning before breakfast my blood was 6.5. so for breakfast i had one slice of toast with low fat spread and one low fat yoghurt. 2 hours later my blood is 14.5!!!! I took 4 units of insulin. If i ate the toast and yoghurt during the day my blood would be fine but nearly always its high after breakfast. Does anyone know why? its really frustrating. I usually eat wholemeal brwon bread for breakfast but i had none this morning so i ate the toast. Im after taking extra insulin to bring the high dwon now but later it will probably go low on me - vicious cycle :(

Some people have mentioned that their ratio in the morning is slightly more due to being more Insulin resistant . Was it white bread that you had then? >> if so white bread is not slow release and will peak your glucose levels rather than a gradual release from brown bread .

yeah it was white bread. But i said id only have one slice it would be ok - big no no. blood coming back to normal now. and in the evening i could have 2 slices of it and my blood would be fine. So yeah i guess in the mornings stay away from the white bread :( even though its nice :(

yeah it was white bread. But i said id only have one slice it would be ok - big no no. blood coming back to normal now. and in the evening i could have 2 slices of it and my blood would be fine. So yeah i guess in the mornings stay away from the white bread :( even though its nice :(

You are probably ok with two slices later in the day as you have more residual Insulin in your system later in the day than first thing in the morning . Also you are doing more and probably peak and then start to drop and dont even realise you've been that high :confused:

My post-breakfast levels are a nightmare to keep in check. I usually put in double the amount of humalog in the morning than I put in in the evening. I also shove it in about 15/20 minutes before I tuck into my cereal.

But even doing that I tend to have a high post-breakfast peak which then comes crashing down again before lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back