Breakfast choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eamon coar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
A simple one here Porridge or All Bran for breakfast, I love Porridge but get a very high spike with a very rapid decent prior to lunch often leading to Hypos at 11.00am / 11.30 am, I know the dawn phenomenon plays a part.

Many do find any cereals being high carb do push up blood glucose so tend to avoid them. All bran may be better than porridge but maybe adding some fat in the form of full fat Greek yoghurt will reduce the spike and even out the blood glucose level.
Or an alternative breakfast of eggs in any form might suit you better.

Many do find any cereals being high carb do push up blood glucose so tend to avoid them. All bran may be better than porridge but maybe adding some fat in the form of full fat Greek yoghurt will reduce the spike and even out the blood glucose level.
Or an alternative breakfast of eggs in any form might suit you better.
Thanks for your response

What medication are you on to cause hypos or are they false hypos caused by a sharp rise and then plummet of BG back down to normal levels or are you dropping below 4? If you are using insulin and spiking high and then coming down too low afterwards (below 4) then you are likely using too much insulin but not injecting it soon enough before eating breakfast (pre bolusing) If it helps to understand an example, I used to need to inject my NovoRapid 75 mins before breakfast to sop that spike and crash. Same amount of insulin, but giving the insulin a big head start can make all the difference. 75 mins is excessive and many people would hypo leaving it that long but most people need at least 30 mins before breakfast to prevent a spike. You need to experiment by carefully increasing it by 5 mins each day until you find the best timing for you and your body and your insulin.

I prefer full fat Greek yoghurt with berries and mixed seeds and cinnamon as my breakfast of choice now, but I still need to inject insulin for that and I usually have to inject 30-45mins in advance of eating it.... I inject as soon as I wake up and before I get out of bed to give it the best chance of preventing that spike.

A simple one here Porridge or All Bran for breakfast, I love Porridge but get a very high spike with a very rapid decent prior to lunch often leading to Hypos at 11.00am / 11.30 am, I know the dawn phenomenon plays a part.

What medication are you on?

I have Greek yoghurt and berries, and sometimes eggs and mushrooms.
Occasionally avocado mixed with tomato and feta cheese. (This one's a rare treat!)
I sometimes have scrambled egg as well (With a bit of double cream or Greek yoghurt mixed in) with some mushrooms and a bit of homemade bread.

What medication are you on to cause hypos or are they false hypos caused by a sharp rise and then plummet of BG back down to normal levels or are you dropping below 4? If you are using insulin and spiking high and then coming down too low afterwards (below 4) then you are likely using too much insulin but not injecting it soon enough before eating breakfast (pre bolusing) If it helps to understand an example, I used to need to inject my NovoRapid 75 mins before breakfast to sop that spike and crash. Same amount of insulin, but giving the insulin a big head start can make all the difference. 75 mins is excessive and many people would hypo leaving it that long but most people need at least 30 mins before breakfast to prevent a spike. You need to experiment by carefully increasing it by 5 mins each day until you find the best timing for you and your body and your insulin.

I prefer full fat Greek yoghurt with berries and mixed seeds and cinnamon as my breakfast of choice now, but I still need to inject insulin for that and I usually have to inject 30-45mins in advance of eating it.... I inject as soon as I wake up and before I get out of bed to give it the best chance of preventing that spike.
Interesting, I did my fiasp jab this morning then left it 20 minutes before breakfast,as yet no spike and stable.My DSN team said no more than 5/10 minutes before.

Nurses and consultants know the theory, but in practice things can be quite different. Pleased it has worked for you this morning. Do be aware that if your levels are low when you wake up the Fiasp will probably need less prebolus time and if they are higher then it will need more of a head start. I use Fiasp and for me it is about 45 mins on a morning, but much less at other times of day ie Lunch and evening meal usually just need 15-20 mins depending upon how low or high my levels are. If I am above 10 I could be waiting an hour or more for it to come down before I eat 🙄 I have a general rule of not eating when my BG is above 8, but ideally below 7 before I eat, so I inject and wait for it to come down.... Not always possible for everyone and Libre enables me to watch it and see when the insulin is "winning" and levels are starting to come down and eat my meal then. It makes a huge difference to smoothing out the peaks on my graph.

Interesting, I did my fiasp jab this morning then left it 20 minutes before breakfast,as yet no spike and stable.My DSN team said no more than 5/10 minutes before.

In range that's my prebolus time for breakfast which is porridge also.

Even not allowing as much time to prebolus with fiasp find spikes are less that it was using novorapid.

It was half an avocado on a slice of wholemeal bread I season the avo with chill powder. Then half tin of tomatoes on top and a dry fried or poached egg on top with black pepper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back