Breakfast cereals

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentmole

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I generally avoid any breakfast cereals because I find the sugar release is uncontrollable, but I’m finding a need to try something different other than eggs, which, if any, cereals do you guys use?

Hi, I have a mixture of 6g each of all bran, cornflakes, rice crispies, shreddies, a tiny amount of milk and 50g banana. Oh, and 300g tomato juice. All in it is at the maximum I aim for in carbohydrates for a meal of 30g

Last edited:
I get a Keto granola, Keto Hana or one I have just bought Maria Lucia Bakes which are both about 10g carbs per 100g but as they are quite pricey I mix 50/50 with Lizi's low sugar granola which is 45g carb per 100g and have this on full fat Greek yoghurt and berries.
You could also have a 'continental' style breakfast with cooked meat and cheese.
There is the option of creamy mushroom or cooked tomatoes on 1 slice of toast or bacon and mushrooms or tomatoes.

I bought some low carb stuff called 'Surreal' but it tastes like paper and strips the skin from the inside of my mouth.

I avoid breakfast cereals completely, but occasionally have some oats (30g) but mainly prefer Greek yoghurt (Fage only) and berries plus some peanut butter.

I made some Granola once from a Caldesi recipe book, but haven't made it again as it was so nice I ate the whole lot in 2 days and it's quite calorific.

Oh, I tried some keto stuff from Holland and Barrett but it was pretty much saturated fat and sweeteners and tasted disgusting.

I usually have one Weetabix with a mix of berries and some Greek yogurt.

I usually have one Weetabix with a mix of berries and some Greek yogurt.
I might try that, used to be partial to a weetabix.

I might try that, used to be partial to a weetabix.
Might sound a bit odd but I always put the berries into the bowl first, then break the Weetabix over them like it was an oxo cube, then add the Greek yogurt.

Only ever eat oats for breakfast, probably have a larger bowl than someone with type 2 but always find it gives good & consistently steady bg levels after eating.

I've tried all types of cereal everything seems to send me wild and really quickly. Only thing I can get away with seems to be Weatabix ‍♂️

I very occasionally have one Oatibix with unsweetened almond milk and 40 gm strawberries or blueberries

Actually, I often have steak or a pork chop with mushrooms or stirfry.
I have never liked breakfast cereals.

I don’t have any cereals at all because they spike me ridiculously. My current breakfast of choice is melon with Greek yogurt. The melon is just on the cusp of low carb but it’s not spiking me so I’m carrying on 🙂

I go for cereals with lowest carbs, like Martin I do one weetabix with fruit and yoghurt, also with almond milk. Also shredded wheat and occasional get the Harvest cornflakes from Aldi they are lower carbs that Kellogs, I also do rolled oats occasionally too. I think its mainly the portion size you have to watch but usually the 30g or quantity will give total carbs on the box.

Breakfast cereals hit my blood glucose like a train - even with the benefit of rapid acting insulin!

I can get away with porridge occasionally, but I have to get my dose timing right. My metabolism doesn’t seem to have read the ‘slow release‘ memo - though I know it suits others on the forum well

Recently I dipped my toe back into muesli, using the berries + bowl of Greek yoghurt, with a sprinkle of muesli over the top. That made a fresh

Breakfast cereals hit my blood glucose like a train - even with the benefit of rapid acting insulin!

I can get away with porridge occasionally, but I have to get my dose timing right. My metabolism doesn’t seem to have read the ‘slow release‘ memo - though I know it suits others on the forum well

Recently I dipped my toe back into muesli, using the berries + bowl of Greek yoghurt, with a sprinkle of muesli over the top. That made a fresh

Apparently, some people process things like oats different and this is why some people see rapid rises and others don't. Something to do with an element of the gut flora that some people lack (Some sort of enzyme, I think.) It sends me up to around 8 and stops there before falling.

Actually, I often have steak or a pork chop with mushrooms or stirfry.
I have never liked breakfast cereals.
i don’t eat meat so will pass on your steak and pork chops but I have wondered why there are different foods for different meals (apart from convenience, maybe).
I love it when travelling and eating curry for breakfast in India and Nasi goreng in Indonesia or cheeses for a continental breakfast. I can see how kedgeree became a breakfast delicacy in “The Raj”. I haven’t gone that far at home but do enjoy fresh chilli in my omelette.

i don’t eat meat so will pass on your steak and pork chops but I have wondered why there are different foods for different meals (apart from convenience, maybe).
I love it when travelling and eating curry for breakfast in India and Nasi goreng in Indonesia or cheeses for a continental breakfast. I can see how kedgeree became a breakfast delicacy in “The Raj”. I haven’t gone that far at home but do enjoy fresh chilli in my omelette.
As long as you are eating protein and fat enough to nourish you and things like mushrooms and stir fry or salad then there should not be a problem.
Grain is rather high carb and most type 2's can't eat enough to live on without having high blood glucose levels.

It’s convenience mainly, I think @helli When I’m on holiday, I’ve eaten all kinds of things for breakfast, but at home I almost always have cereal, apart from the occasional croissant or pain au chocolat. The difference is when I’m home, I’m up earlier so don’t fancy savoury meals as much, I’m very short of time trying to marshall the children round and get to work, and so on. Cereal is quick, easy to standardise portion-wise, and goes down well at 6am or whatever.

I generally have granola mixed with All Bran, weighing both cereals and sticking to the same portion every day. I’m Type 1 so on insulin, of course. I did try a very low carb cereal once (less than 5g carbs) but actually I found that as much as or more of a pain than the normal cereal because I ended up having to have more insulin than I’d thought. For me, it’s the morning that’s the issue, not the cereal. My body seems to like a whack of carbs and insulin in order to keep good control.

Ready brek for me 24.9g of carb per meal.

I tolerate this far better than a similar amount of carb from toast or other cereals. I guess, that's part of the joy of diabetes... my body hasn't read the rules!

I am another one who finds oats spike me, and that applies to the granolas on offer.
I now make my own cereal: quinoa flakes in place of oats, then loads of nuts and seeds and a bit of dedicated coconut. Much lower carbs and no spike (with the correct timing of my bolus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back